PDA

View Full Version : 12FV stock vs Accustock in weight/rigidity

Spring1898
12-23-2017, 03:29 PM
Hello All,
Been looking into the differences in savage stocks.
The 12FV stock seems to be entirely synthetic but pretty "stiff." I handled a take off at a gunstore and noted that it was quite difficult to flex, and they at least have pillar bedding.
The accustock's have the aluminum bedding so I imagine they would be "stiffer" but probably weigh more?

My question is what is the weight difference between them?
I heave heard the accustocks are 36oz, but not sure about the 12fv stock?

Zero333
12-23-2017, 04:38 PM
All I can say is that for hunting deer and other big game where I have to carry the rifle for a long time I much prefer the NON accustock.

For shooting off a bench or any kind of rest/bi-bod, I prefer the accustock.

I have a hunting rifle that was in a regular stock and then I put it in a accustock (had to use a recoil lug made for the accustock cause the regular lug does not fit), and the accuracy shooting off a bench before and after did not change whatsoever.

Spring1898
12-24-2017, 01:36 AM
That is a good point. One of the rifles will probably end up being a reasonably light weight <9lb 308 with 20" varmint contour barrel. That might be a better candidate for the 12fv.

That said, I managed to weigh a stripped 12FV stock, and it weighed more than I expected at 1lb 14 oz, or 30oz. Not sure how much the bottom metal would add, but it looks like the difference in weight is less than 6 oz, probably closer to 4 oz max.