PDA

View Full Version : Die locking rings

PaddyD
12-23-2017, 09:58 AM
This is no doubt going to sound like probably the dumbest question many of you have ever heard, but it has been bothering me since I started reloading almost 30 years ago. First let me say this happens on all my dies regardless of manufacturer. RCBS, Hornady it does not matter. I set my dies and the lock rings. No matter how tight I tighten those lock rings they come lose as soon as I remove the dies from the press. The RCBS using the set screw and the Hornady split ring clamping type it matters not. They just will not stay tight. Have I been doing something wrong? I thought about replacing the brass set screw in the RCBS dies with a steel one, but was worried about buggering up the die body threads. If any of you would please indulge me in how to avoid resetting the sizing die every single time I change it out I would be forever grateful.

243LPR
12-23-2017, 11:09 AM
Once you get the die set where you want it back it out of the press one turn,then tighten the set screw.

GaryB
12-23-2017, 12:54 PM
Maybe try a little loctite.

bigedp51
12-23-2017, 01:25 PM
Tighten the lock ring set screw until the threads start to smoke and then give the set screw one more full turn.

Or do what 243lpr said in post #2, but not Gorilla tight.

BillPa
12-23-2017, 03:43 PM
Maybe try a little loctite.

No, put a piece of #8 lead shot under the set screw. It will keep the set screw/ring tight while protecting the die threads from damage.

Bill

NicfromAlabama
12-23-2017, 04:23 PM
I have not been loading very long, well maybe a few years have already passed since I started. But, early on, when figuring out what to use, I read about many people using the Lyman lock rings on all their dies. So, that is what I have been doing. I have removed all the lock rings from my Lee, RCBS and Redding dies and use the Lyman ones. I have never had them come loose. Since they are a round style, I have to use a pair of locking pliers to install and remove them from the press. I wish they were multi sided so I could use an adjustable wrench, but I am happy with them overall.

BillPa
12-23-2017, 09:19 PM
I wish they were multi sided so I could use an adjustable wrench
Hornady Sure-Loc die rings have flats on them to use a "fits all".
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Hornady-Sure-Loc-Die-Lock-Ring-6-pack/productDetail/Shellholders-and-Die-Accessories/prod999901364684/cat130003

Bill

NicfromAlabama
12-23-2017, 10:24 PM
Hornady Sure-Loc die rings have flats on them to use a "fits all".
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Hornady-Sure-Loc-Die-Lock-Ring-6-pack/productDetail/Shellholders-and-Die-Accessories/prod999901364684/cat130003

Bill

Yeah, I thought about trying them in the past, but read a few negative reviews about the screws being weak. So, I just stayed with the Lyman.

Robinhood
12-24-2017, 12:33 AM
Then get a bag of lee o-rings and put one under each of your sizing dies lock rings.

Pitbull
12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
No, put a piece of #8 lead shot under the set screw. It will keep the set screw/ring tight while protecting the die threads from damage.

Bill
^^^^^This

m12lrs
12-24-2017, 06:58 AM
i use forster lock rings.

you can't tighten any of them with them screwed down tightly to the press. When you do it will hold that die tightly to the press kind of wedging it in there but it doesn't tighten the lock ring into the threads of the die. when you break it loose the ring turns on the die.

If you find your setting and carefully back both the lock ring and die out of the press, without changing their relationship, a quarter turn then you can actually tighten the lock ring into the threads of the die.

beware of lock rings that use a set screw that goes into the threads of the die. crossbolt lock rings are best and i feel the forster lock rings are the best of those.

PhilC
12-24-2017, 11:57 AM

you can't tighten any of them with them screwed down tightly to the press. When you do it will hold that die tightly to the press kind of wedging it in there but it doesn't tighten the lock ring into the threads of the die. when you break it loose the ring turns on the die.

If you find your setting and carefully back both the lock ring and die out of the press, without changing their relationship, a quarter turn then you can actually tighten the lock ring into the threads of the die.

beware of lock rings that use a set screw that goes into the threads of the die. crossbolt lock rings are best and i feel the forster lock rings are the best of those.
^^^^

243LPR
12-24-2017, 01:28 PM

Bill
Forgot about that trick.

Robinhood
12-24-2017, 02:34 PM

Yep

I have found that with many of my dies I can reduce neck RO by using and o-ring under the nut. this allows minor adjustments to be made when I am getting it set up. An index mark with a Marker on the press face and the lock ring allow me to repeat the setting.

PaddyD
12-24-2017, 05:13 PM
Yep

I have found that with many of my dies I can reduce neck RO by using and o-ring under the nut. this allows minor adjustments to be made when I am getting it set up. An index mark with a Marker on the press face and the lock ring allow me to repeat the setting.

That's a great idea.

PaddyD
12-24-2017, 05:19 PM

Thanks. That makes sense.

Zero333
12-25-2017, 02:20 AM
I replaced the set crews with actual screws that can be tightened much harder and don't come loose...

Here is a bad pic, but you'll get the idea.

I have no idea what thread they are. I just found some at home that fit.

Fotheringill
12-28-2017, 12:29 PM
Possibly a dumber than dirt question-

When you are removing the die, is the locking ring "frozen" against the top of the press, and if so, do you use a wrench around the ring or the neck of the die to get it loose?

m12lrs
12-28-2017, 01:13 PM
Possibly a dumber than dirt question-

When you are removing the die, is the locking ring "frozen" against the top of the press, and if so, do you use a wrench around the ring or the neck of the die to get it loose?

l if you tightened it with your hand you should be able to loosen it with your hand

if you turned the lock ring down tight to the top of the press and then tightened a crossbolt style lock ring you will probably have to loosen the allen screw to screw it out.