PDA

View Full Version : Need Precision Ground Direct Drop In Replacement for Factory Accustock Lug

MSR_Gal
12-21-2017, 08:25 PM
Does anyone make/sell a precision ground drop in replacement for the factory accustock recoil lug?

My lug is exactly 0.180" thick. The slot in the aluminum rail is 0.1818". So the new lug needs to be no thicker than 0.181" and preferably 0.180" thick like the factory lug.

I keep seeing custom lugs from 0.187" to 0.500". But no 0.180" - 0.181" thick custom lugs.

I have no interest in having to modify the aluminum rail. I have no interest in having to modify a just purchased precision lug.

If I can't find a direct drop in precision lug, I will just use the original when I rebarrel.

But surely someone actually makes a precision accustock lug that fits?

Zero333
12-21-2017, 11:39 PM
You can grind the front of the accustock opening to allow a thicker lug. Plenty have done it. Recoil lug only needs contact on the back, so you can be very generous in removing material from the front of the opening with out any worries.

Another problem is that accustock recoil lugs have a different shape on the sides and folks have to trace the old lug over the new one and grind the new one to match. PTG sells savage lugs that have parallel sides, so I assume they're for accustocks, but can't confirm the fit since I've never used them.

J.Baker
12-22-2017, 03:44 AM
...or just surface grind the factory lug. Not sure what you're looking to gain, but factory or reground or aftermarket isn't going to have any noticeable affect on accuracy - especially considering you're sticking with the so-so AccuStock.

MSR_Gal
12-22-2017, 09:04 AM
...or just surface grind the factory lug. Not sure what you're looking to gain, but factory or reground or aftermarket isn't going to have any noticeable affect on accuracy - especially considering you're sticking with the so-so AccuStock.

It sounds like the path of least resistance will be to re-use the factory lug. This is an intermediate range hunting rifle, so if I can get 1 MOA i'll be happy.

I find it strange that there is not a single entrepreneur who sees the market for a precision lug a mere 0.007" thinner than the ones some companies offer.

70oldsracer
12-22-2017, 06:34 PM
It sounds like the path of least resistance will be to re-use the factory lug. This is an intermediate range hunting rifle, so if I can get 1 MOA i'll be happy.

I find it strange that there is not a single entrepreneur who sees the market for a precision lug a mere 0.007" thinner than the ones some companies offer.

I actually just did this. I ground down my aftermarket recoil lug to match the accustock recoil lug. I had to narrow the sides by a total .100" .050" a side and take .090" off the bottom. I still need to take .045" off the front of the slot in the accustock so my .225" recoil lug will fit. The original recoil lug is on the right.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/924/PYPtRp.jpg