PDA

View Full Version : Differences in scope bases?

onespeedbiker
12-21-2017, 02:35 PM
Not a discussion on Weaver vs Picatinny or the like. I have an AXIS ll in 308 and found the OEM Weaver Kaspa scope, rings and bases very lacking. I ended up buying a Leupold American Marksman with the PRW rings. What I an curious about is the difference between the standard and QRW bases. I bought a set of the QRW bases and they hold the rings very secure, but I'm wondering if the standard bases would have somehow been better.

J.Baker
12-26-2017, 10:21 AM
Which standard bases are you referring to? Typically when someone says "Leupold standard bases" most are going to think the turn-in dovetail type that are synonimous with Leupold. The "W" in the QRW name indicates Weaver-style which is a totally different system, so the two base types wouldn't be compatible with a given set of rings. Leupold doesn't have (that I could find) a different or "standard" set of Weaver-style rings for their PRW rings (non quick-release weaver rings), so their QRW rings are technically for both.

Now if you meant to say the difference between the PRW and QRW rings, the only real difference I can see would be in consistency of torquing them down. With the PRW you can use a torque wrench on them to make sure they're properly tightened, whereas with the QRW you just have the lever so you would have to have a properly calibrated thumb to get them the same time after time. Does it matter? Probably not.

penna shooter
12-26-2017, 01:26 PM
Well done My F....Good info