PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs scope help...

daved20319
12-21-2017, 02:33 PM
Have a new (and first) Savage on the way, one of the Cabela's 12FV's in .223. This will be strictly a bench gun for shooting groups out to 500 yards at most, and more typically 300 yards or less. I don't compete, although if the bug bites hard enough, that might change. But in the meantime, this is very much a budget project. Which brings me to the purpose of this post.

I'm scope shopping, obviously, and have mostly succeeded in confusing myself. I have zeroed in on what my parameters are, here they are in no particular order:

30 mm tube
Target/tactical reticle
Target/tactical turrets, no caps
No proprietary BDC reticle
And the kicker, only a $300 budget

I know, I should wait until I can afford better glass, but that means my new rifle will sit in a corner gathering dust for a long time. I'm almost 60, so middle aged eyes have put limits on me that I still gripe about. That means magnification matters, even at relatively short distances. If I can't see it, I can't hit it. So with the disclaimers out of the way, here's what I'm looking at.

I'm down to a short list of just 3 scopes, the Primary Arms 4-14 FFP, the SWFA SS 12X (probably), and the Falcon M18+ 4-18x44. The last is available as both first and second focal plane, and all are available as MOA or MIL. On the latter, I have no particular preference, although I'm learning towards MIL. I'm not a fan of FFP scopes, I had one of the Midway/BSA versions and found the changing reticle size annoying. I suppose if I anticipated ranging with the scope, I could learn to like it, but for my purpose, I don't see any advantage. That said, the PA has a solid following, and is the least expensive on my list.

The SS series have a solid reputation, and it seems reasonable to expect better glass and mechanics from a fixed power scope at the same price as a variable. But those middle aged eyes get in the mix. I know 10x isn't enough for the longer range shooting for me, I don't know if 12x is going to make that much difference, but I'm afraid 16x will be too much for 100 yards. I've already ruled out the 20x.

Which brings me to the Falcon. It's got good reviews, but not many of them, and I know some of the older model Falcons had issues. The overall feature set on this ticks all my boxes and then some, but it is another Chinese scope, and that makes it a crap shoot. So what I really need is for someone to talk me into/out of this scope, because I'm leaning hard this way. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Robinhood
12-21-2017, 04:24 PM
SS 16X, Vortex or Athlon.

rjtfroggy
12-21-2017, 04:52 PM
My eyes are older than yours and I have no problems with the SS 20x at 100 (own4)and can focus down to 25 yards no problem.
I also have a 6x and a 16x same results.
Like our hearing as we age it don't get better.

SageRat Shooter
12-21-2017, 06:12 PM
I use the 6-24x50 Sightron in FFP and it will focus all the way down to 50 yards as long as you have an adjustable objective.... One thing I have to through out there especially if you're going with a fixed power... Above 16X you will have trouble with the sight picture from the heat waves coming off your barrel after about 10 shots... I have to turn mine down to 16x in order to restore my sight picture. That Mirage effect can be a real bugger....

want2ride
12-21-2017, 08:23 PM
I have a 12x SWFA SS, and it is a really nice scope for the range. Hard not to recommend it. I don't have experience with any of the others on the list. Good luck!

jpx2rk
12-21-2017, 09:32 PM
I've got a Mueller 6-25 on a FV12 223 and like it. Recticles are a bit heavy for my tastes, but just throwing it out there.

RandyB
12-21-2017, 09:55 PM
You should jump on this Burris MTAC 4.5-14x42 at Cabela's for $249...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/bargain-cave/optics/riflescopes-red-dot/pc/105591780/c/105675480/sc/105678180/burris-mtac-x-x/1911875.uts?slotId=2

Robinhood
12-22-2017, 12:39 AM
You should jump on this Burris MTAC 4.5-14x42 at Cabela's for $249...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/bargain-cave/optics/riflescopes-red-dot/pc/105591780/c/105675480/sc/105678180/burris-mtac-x-x/1911875.uts?slotId=2

Yes. The adj. obj. can be tight but the scopes have decent glass. The great thing about the SS is the fairly accurate turrets. I have never tested the Mtac but I have looked through several.

For a variable at this price It is hard to beat. Nice Randy.

Mozella
12-22-2017, 04:55 AM
I've got a Mueller 6-25 on a FV12 223 and like it. Recticles are a bit heavy for my tastes, but just throwing it out there.

I'm also a fan of Mueller scopes when it comes to bang-for-the-buck, especially at higher magnification levels. I have several in higher magnifications and I like them a lot. I spend more money on my competition scopes these days, but I have used Muellers in competition in the past with good results.

To the OP I'll say this. I do most of my load work-up testing at 100 yards and routinely use maximum magnification on my 600 yd F-Class competition scopes. For me, that is 50 power on two of them and 60 power on one of them. True, sometimes reducing magnification helps, but most of the time they stay on max magnification, so I would NOT worry that more than 16 power might be too much for 100 yards, especially if the accuracy bug bites. If you ever get the urge to shoot an F-Class match you will NOT be happy with 16 power.

As far as tactical knobs, I like them too. But, especially for bench shooting, the only downside I see to knob caps is that I have to guard against leaving them on the bench when I go home. If you're running around hiding behind old automobiles and refrigerators while shooting at a variety of ranges, then tactical knobs would be preferred. But at my age that is out of the question. If I were you, I would NOT reject an otherwise perfect scope just because it had knob caps if you're interested in bench shooting.

Bottom line: Don't buy a scope without considering a Mueller, don't automatically reject scopes with knob caps, and don't reject scopes more than 16 power even if you never shoot further than 100 yards.

firstblood807
12-22-2017, 07:38 AM
The glass is exceptionally good for a $300 scope. Definitely go with the 10X. The SS 10X is a fantastic scope. Probably the best scope you ll ever buy for the price.
Variable powers are nice for those close in shots but the fixed power SS scopes are indestructible.

rjtfroggy
12-22-2017, 07:38 AM
I have to agree with Mozella, the Mueller scopes are also good. The 8x32 target scope will fit your needs to a T.
I used to use one for BR 300 yards an in to 100 good glass repeatable movement of the turrets and it runs around $260. Good deal for a target scope. They also have a 6x25 that is very good but it is a 1" tube.

jpx2rk
12-22-2017, 09:22 AM
I was at the range on 12/21/17 with my FV223, and shot about 50 rounds thru it (may have 100 rds total on this scope), doing some load development testing at 100 and then moved out to 200 to set the zero for 200. Adjustments were good, it would take a couple shots to get the scope to settle on the adjustments I had made and then they would "stay" where I set it. I did note that I had the scope on 14-16x at the 100 yd target, and could see my targets well (I'm 62 and have crappy eyes with tri-focals). I moved up to 20x for the 200 yd target and have no complaints, even 25x/max was good for my purposes. The crosshairs are a bit heavy as I stated earlier, but the scope works well for the money.

daved20319
12-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions, guys, they're much appreciated. As to rejecting something because of this or that, it's less a rejection and more a much needed narrowing of a huge variety of choices. I realize my parameters eliminate a lot of possibly suitable choices, but without narrowing the field somehow, I'd never be able to make a decision :o.

That said, I think the decision has been made, with the final factor being one I hadn't anticipated. I got an offer from a member on another forum for one of my choices, along with some other goodies, for a very good price. So sometime after Christmas, I'll be taking delivery of a 16x SS. Now I just need to hope for a break in the weather before March, it's looking like winter has finally arrived to stay in my neck of the woods. Later, and thanks again.

Dave

penna shooter
12-22-2017, 01:12 PM
Congrats

Robinhood
12-22-2017, 08:02 PM
Nice Choice.