PDA

View Full Version : New Savage 11/111 7mm

98dyna
12-20-2017, 11:42 AM
Picked up my new Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter 7mm Mag yesterday shipped from Bud's Guns. After reading several posts about the bad scope rings/mounts I got it home and the first thing I did was check the rings and mounts to see if they were loose. Guess what? Every screw including the stock screws were loose/ not torqued properly. Red Loc-tite for scope base screws, proper re-torque for all others. Should kick like a mule with that plastic stock but I wanted a light hunting rifle with a lot of punch. Load I have used in the past is a 140 grain Fusion with 70.0 grains of RL22 at about 3250 fps.

penna shooter
12-20-2017, 12:15 PM
Congrats and happy shooting..

Newtosavage
12-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Punch is right. Right between your shoulder and your collarbone. LOL

I've been eyeballing a 7mag myself. Having a 7mm-08 already, it's darn convenient to be able to load the same bullets if you want.

My '06 Tikka is 7 lbs. on the nose, scoped. It kicks like a friggin' mule. Good luck with yours! :D

RandyB
12-20-2017, 10:37 PM
Picked up my new Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter 7mm Mag yesterday shipped from Bud's Guns. After reading several posts about the bad scope rings/mounts I got it home and the first thing I did was check the rings and mounts to see if they were loose. Guess what? Every screw including the stock screws were loose/ not torqued properly. Red Loc-tite for scope base screws, proper re-torque for all others. Should kick like a mule with that plastic stock but I wanted a light hunting rifle with a lot of punch. Load I have used in the past is a 140 grain Fusion with 70.0 grains of RL22 at about 3250 fps.

I ordered the same gun in 300wm. I immediately sold the scope and was expecting it to be locktited and a bear to get off, but like you, the screws were finger tight. I guess I need to remove the new scope and rings because I didn't even check the mount screws. I ordered the Hogue full bedded stock and it's at CDI Precision now getting new DBM. Also have a Witt Machine brake on the way. Hope it's a good shooter. It's my first ever bolt.

BB68
12-20-2017, 11:50 PM
I ordered the same gun in 300wm. I immediately sold the scope and was expecting it to be locktited and a bear to get off, but like you, the screws were finger tight. I guess I need to remove the new scope and rings because I didn't even check the mount screws. I ordered the Hogue full bedded stock and it's at CDI Precision now getting new DBM. Also have a Witt Machine brake on the way. Hope it's a good shooter. It's my first ever bolt.

How much did you get for the scope? btw I got a 338 win mag, 300s were sold out.

RandyB
12-20-2017, 11:56 PM
How much did you get for the scope? btw I got a 338 win mag, 300s were sold out.

I sold the Bushnell scope to my neighbor for $75. Then I ordered the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x42 with an Amazon Holiday Coupon for $129 and sold it for $180. I then ordered the Vortex Viper 4x16-44 for $302 from Cabela's.

The only drawback as far as I can see is the cost of ammo concerning the 338 vs 300. I'm not going to stock a thousand rnds regardless. lol

BB68
12-21-2017, 12:01 AM
I dont think your shoulder could handle it. lol. When I take the scope off to check the screws I dont think it will go back on. Thinking off what power to put on it..

RandyB
12-21-2017, 12:07 AM
I dont think your shoulder could handle it. lol. When I take the scope off to check the screws I dont think it will go back on. Thinking off what power to put on it..

I know! I read good stuff on the Witt Machine Brake, so I ordered one! lol
http://wittmachine.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180

Zero333
12-21-2017, 11:13 PM
7 win short MAG ?
7 Weatherby MAG ?
7 Rem Ultra MAG ?
7 Rem Short action ultra MAG ?
7 Blaser MAG ?
7 Rem MAG ?

:noidea:

O.K. I'm joking. I know you mean 7 RemMag, but I couldn't resist. I'm immature sometimes.

:baby: