PDA

View Full Version : Comparison of Magneto Speed vs Chronograph

GoatTuff
12-19-2017, 03:58 PM
Hey Peeps,

I just did a side by side comparison of a magneto speed and Caldwell chronograph and found some interesting results. After shooting ten shot groups through each I found the chronograph to be 7 fps faster than the magneto speed.

My curiosity got the best of me and I backed out to 500 yards and entered my different speeds and environmentals into a ballistic calculator to verify dope. After a series of shots I found the chronograph speeds to more accurate to the results/outputs of the ballistic calculator I was using.

Has anyone else had this experience? I was under the impression (and kinda still am after talking and discussing with other serious shooters) that the magneto speed was the gold standard for muzzle velocities...but field results don't mesh. Factors Im not considering?

yobuck
12-19-2017, 05:16 PM
Not from any personal experience, but based on whats been being said by some experienced shooters, the Magneto Speed is better than even the Ohler which has been the best of the best for decades.
As for a 7 fps difference in velocity, that can happen even on the same one on different days.
What is seen while actually shooting is what to rely on anyway, but even that is subject to change based on conditions.

Phranque
12-19-2017, 08:10 PM
I'm preferential to my LabRadar, but given the choice between optical chrono & Magneto, it's Magneto hands-down. 7fps difference is less than your typical standard deviation on any given day.