PDA

View Full Version : Barrel nut and action turning together. HELP!

OReloader
12-15-2017, 02:33 AM
Finally got everything together to headspace my new barrel.

Barrel nut threaded on fine, everything threaded on fairly smooth. put a little dab of anti seize on the threads. tightened the action down finger tight onto the head spacing gauge. Tightened the nut against the action AND

The action turns with the barrel nut. every time i try to tighten the nut the action loosens.

I'm so frustrated right now. my last build was problem free. I've taken everything back apart, removed the anti seize and and tried again, same result!

What the heck do I do, and where do I go from here?

Johnny_V
12-15-2017, 08:01 AM
I see no mention of the recoil lug . Also, the recoil lug, if aftermarket, needs to be "keyed" to prevent this from happening.

LoneWolf
12-15-2017, 09:18 AM
I see no mention of the recoil lug . Also, the recoil lug, if aftermarket, needs to be "keyed" to prevent this from happening.

It doesn't need to be keyed, it just makes it easier if it is.

To the OP, how are you set up? action wrench mounted in Vise? Barrel vise? Need to know what method you are using for your install.

Johnny_V
12-15-2017, 11:20 AM
It doesn't need to be keyed, it just makes it easier if it is.

To the OP, how are you set up? action wrench mounted in Vise? Barrel vise? Need to know what method you are using for your install.

Then why, may I ask, does the factory key the lugs?

ragsflh
12-15-2017, 11:23 AM
need to hold action when tightening nut with action wrench

Johnny_V
12-15-2017, 11:39 AM
Ideally, one should hold both barrel and action, but that is only in an ideal world.

LoneWolf
12-15-2017, 11:44 AM
Then why, may I ask, does the factory key the lugs?

Because it makes the process easier.... I've had Savage actions that were not pinned for the recoil lug. I've seen many Remington actions that were not pinned for the recoil lug. Many other actions out there are also not pinned and is a service offered by many Smiths when rebarreling because it makes timing the lug easier. Or you get a custom action with an integral lug which makes the whole process null & void. Again I will restate my previous statement in a manner that will hopefully make more sense..... "it is not necessary (i.e. needed), but it is preferred (because it makes rebarreling easier).....

Robinhood
12-16-2017, 01:28 AM
You are not holding your mouth right.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-Oxuyfs4Wf5o%2FWQqy3TOsp9I%2FAAAAAAAAK-Q%2FqtzS7fxXnSANftjl4GkWfnqe6tlCnbWjACLcB%2Fs1600% 2F20170416_153933.jpg&f=1

m12lrs
12-27-2017, 12:28 PM

+1
it is best to have a keyed recoil lug
action wrench should keep the action from moving.
if you are using a barrel vice and barrel nut wrench a keyed recoil lug sure makes everything go together smoothly.