PDA

View Full Version : 22-250 question

rmkey
12-12-2017, 02:00 PM
My savage is a 1:14. This limits me to lighter bullets and I am currently working with 52 grain sierras, 53 gr V max and 50 grain FB bergers. I am loading moderate velocity loads. My goal is solely 0.5 moa. I have got close but not quite there. My question has to do with jump. I can’t get even close to the lands with these light bullets. Should I consider scraping this barrel for a eg. a Shilen in hopes of reaching the lands? I still could uniform the flash hole, inside neck team and turn the necks, load hotter charges and switch to bushing neck sizing. I am using H380 and varget and 223 cfe. I am using Win brass, WLR and CCI Br primers. How would you proceed?

SageRat Shooter
12-12-2017, 02:12 PM
That's about as good as I can get mine... 5 in a nickel @ 100 yards... And I have the aftermarket CBI barrel on mine,(1:9 twist) in a Boyds Prairie hunter stock (Pillared and glass bedded). To get .5 or better, I think it comes down to what the shooter can do... You may be able to find another accuracy node if you shoot them faster... My uncle has a 1:14 twist and he shoots the 50's about 3700 fps.

rmkey
12-12-2017, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will try a few more basic accurizing steps for the ammo and step up the load. The thing that bugs me is that it seems most shooters, but not all, report best accuracy just at the lands. I guess if I don’t get there in the next few months I will rechamber to 6.5 x47 Lapua. Yes it definitely can be the shooter but I have no problem with my 260 LRP which has a bit more recoil.

SageRat Shooter
12-12-2017, 02:41 PM
My 260 is a .5 MOA shooter too... Heavier bullets don't move around as much.. Those 50 grain pills get moved quite a bit with just a 3-5 mph wind. I just switched to the 53 gr. V-max from the 55 gr. to get the added BC (.290) and the ogive is designed more like the VLD type bullets. I'll have to see if I get any more accuracy out of them... Still have to shoot up all of my 55 gr. loads first however... I hope I get a better PD season this year... My field in Eastern Oregon got drowned last winter... Only fired 25 rounds last season... :o

rmkey
12-12-2017, 03:00 PM
If your gun is a 1:14 you will likely see improved accuracy with the lighter bullets Mine will shoot 55 v max but with a obvious loss of accuracy. I think a 53 vmax may work but there is a trade off with the 1:14 with boat tails. Switching from a 55 BT to a FB 55 is said to improve stability.

SageRat Shooter
12-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the info... I'm actually running a 1:9 twist 26" CBI Barrel. They should stabilize well.

It kind of caught me off guard to be honest... never would have thought that a 55 gr. would have a lower BC than a 53 gr. would... the 53 has a BC that is almost equal to a 60 gr. Vmax...

55 gr.= .255 BC
53 gr.= .290 BC

Go figure that one... VLD design and boat tail make the difference I guess.

chop house
12-13-2017, 11:35 AM
sage rat: My field in Eastern Oregon got drowned last winter... Only fired 25 rounds last season...

sorry to hear that. i was in sodak and shot that much before finishing my coffee.

rmkey: obviously fb will get you closer to the lands, at the expense of bc, for the same wt. i have been using speer tnt across several calibers. not a glam choice but accurate and effective and inexpensive. try some 55's on a calm day to see what your rifle will do. if you are looking for that extra 1/8" inch it is almost not relevelant when the wind is blowing, imho. if you are looking for 1/4" make sure you scope crosshairs and parallax are not hurting you.

also, there is a series of articles at midsouth shooters supply reloading blog about jump tolerant bullet designs. you might take a peek over there. i am able to jump the tnt's 0.040 or so and still get good results.

Tsb3
12-13-2017, 05:23 PM
rmkey, IMO not every rifle likes to be near the lands. I have a model 11 22-250 with a 1:12 twist. It does not like being to close, my best load for this rifle is .030 off the lands. WIN white box brass, neck sized, (previously fired in this gun) flash holes are uniformed, (don't if that really helps) CCI lg rifle primer, 35 grains of Varget, 52 gr A-max @ .030. Consistent 1/2" 5 shot groups @ 100yds. Has printed a few 3/8" groups.
I am currently trying to develop a load with IMR 4166, for the "clean burn".