PDA

View Full Version : Wood Stock for Stealth

whtsmoke
12-10-2017, 11:13 PM
I haven't even shot it yet and I am already modifying it lol, I was lookinng around and thought of the wood stocks that Boyds makes for the Ar and was wondering if anyone has ever done this to a Staelth or what your thoughts are on it. Mine will never leave the top of a bench if that makes any difference. I have been looking at the Luth AR-3 also. Thoughts, comments or anything is welcome.

darkker
12-11-2017, 02:55 PM
I do like Boyds stocks, but some things from experience to keep in mind.
I typically don't bed stocks, haven't every come across one that actually "needed" to be bedded. I understand the virtues, and why you would, but don't think it to be as "necessary" as many think. One of the rifles I shoot to a mile with, sits in an un-bedded Boyds stock.
Boyds stocks may not be the best choice if you are one who likes to take your guns out of the stock constantly. As you cinch down the action screws the wood tends to compress with repeated tightening. Not the end of the world, but changes things. In theory if you bed it, this can be eliminated, but it seems fanciful to skim bed things. I personally don't think a thin layer of a brittle material will prevent this. YMMV

whtsmoke
12-11-2017, 04:47 PM
My main thing here is to get away from the OEM butt stock and go to a more traditional style and wood will add more weight to the gun which would cut down on recoil, but like I said I havent even shot it yet so I don't really know. My problem is recoil sensitive at least the surgeon told me nothing with recoil heavier than a 243 .

SageRat Shooter
12-11-2017, 04:57 PM
My problem is recoil sensitive at least the surgeon told me nothing with recoil heavier than a 243 .

What caliber did you go with on the Stealth? 6.5 Creedmoor? if you put a Muzzle brake on it, you may reduce that recoil to .243 level or below.

whtsmoke
12-11-2017, 06:26 PM
yes i got the 6.5 and i do plan on putting a muzzle brake on it, that should do it.