PDA

View Full Version : New member and need info

atabing
12-10-2017, 05:19 PM
First off thanks for allowing me to join. A little bit about myself: been hunting and shooting for 28 years, started when I was 10 and have been doing it as a full time hobby every since. besides hunting, I have shot sporting clay's competitively for 20 years and started shooting 3 gun and Steel Challenge this year. Was a police officer for 14 years (before changing careers) and was our departments armor and gun guy due to my knowledge of firearms. Just a short personal history, but to show I know a little more than the average guy about firearms.

I have a question hopefully someone can answer for me, well actually a couple of questions.

1. I have a Savage Model 112 I bought from a friend back in 2000 that I used a few times for prairie dog hunting and is extremely accurate. It's produced 5 shoot groups at 100 yards I could cover with a nickle and all shots were touching, which to me is damn good for a stock rifle and factory Winchester ammo. It's been many years since I've had the old girl out and recently my best friend and I have decided to build 1,000 yard rifles just for fun between us to shoot (because we are almost 40 and just because we can lol). We booth have extensive firearm and reloading experience. Here are some questions, first if I wanted to rebarrel this rifle to a 243, is the only thing I need to change is the barrel? Second question is what shank size does it have? The barrel nut measures 1.32" if that helps. I'm looking to replace the barrel with a Shilan barrel and it says that Savage made different sizes.

2. Have any of you had good experience with a 22-250 at 1,000 yards or would the 243 be a better choice? After extensive research it looks like the 243 wins due to ammo availability if I wanted to shoot factory ammo, and not having to spend a ton of money on custom factory brass or having to modify each casing like a 6mm BR or AI type round. Also curious as to what the rifling twist in this rifle is?

Any suggestions and info would be greatly appreciated.

penna shooter
12-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Welcome to the Brotherhood.

drybean
12-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Welcome aboard

ttexastom
12-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Welcome from northeast georgia

ragsflh
12-11-2017, 11:05 AM
howdy

LoneWolf
12-11-2017, 04:59 PM
Welcome to the SS forum.

I am unsure of the shank size on that model as I don't know if you have a target model or not. Someone else can chime in on that.

I used to shoot 243Win in Tactical competition and took it out to 1500yds at one point quite successfully. That being said I was pulling barrels before 1500rds due to throat erosion and the best option to run it for long range work is a 7-7.5 twist barrel with 105-115grs bullets. I would lean on the 110 Sierra or 115 DTAC if I went back to a 308 based 6mm. Knowing what I know now though I'd go with a 6 Dasher with 105grs bullets. Dashers are seeing 2k-3k rounds and loading is easy and extremely consistent with little work. The 6BR and variants up to the 6 Dasher along with the 6.5x47 are the 2 most consistent 6 and 6.5 cases available. Easiest to load for and are very efficient on powder/barrel life etc.

So, I would recommend a 6.5 variant simply due to barrel life as well as it being more forgiving at the reloading bench. If you are skilled at reloading as stated you will immediately see the benefits of the 6.5x47 and if you are worried about recoil shoot 130grs bullets as they will only have slightly more recoil than the 243win.

If you must have factory ammo options the 6.5 Creedmoor has a slew of options available now a days and you can even find quality ammo in your local Wal-mart in most cases.

Hotolds442
01-09-2018, 08:10 PM
Welcome!