PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Trainer in the works. Stock question!

BrettSass844
09-14-2010, 11:58 PM
For the time being I have decided to postpone my 6.5 win mag build and get a nice trainer put together. I have to many other projects to wrap up that need the finishing touches, like my 10FP and glass for a 280 rem that's in the works now. I have a MK II sporter barrel and love it. Also have a model 93 in 22mag and love it as well. I would like to stick with 22LR because of low ammo cost. Not to mention it is a blast shooting my MK II out to 200 yards. Here are some features I am definitely looking for. Heavy barrel, accu-trigger and bolt action. Stock choice is simple. A Boyds tacticool. My question is on their website it states that the stock inlet is for a 93 receiver but can fit a MK II with additional hardware. What all is needed to fit a MK II into that stock and is it a nice fit? I will more than likely top it off with a rimfire tech base to obtain more elevation range. Optic choice will be one of the following. Vortex crossfire, bushnell elite 10x, or SS 10x. Weaver tactical rings will be used as I have had great luck with them. Thoughts and suggestions on my plans??? Also please share your experiences with the Boyds tacticool. Thanks!

2guard
09-15-2010, 09:36 AM
If the mk2 is the e-receiver it will fit. I just bought a tact stock and my fvt (mk2) is an e-reciver and fits perfectly. However my btvs is the older model and would not fit due to the recevier difference. If it is not, you will need to do some sanding of the barrel channel. You will also need the trigger guard and bottom metal (mag area) if you have a composite stock. Boyds currently has some tacticool seconds in the crazy deals section for $50, where as the others are showing a 4-6 week wait. I'm working on my tact currently, adding a adjustable buttplate (if it ever arrives from canada) and putting a nice GAP camo job on it (thread is here in the rimfire section).

this might help:
http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307435

AS far as the scopes go, I have had the ss 10x42 (and 16 and 20x models) and the bushnell 10x40, and the bushnell was much more clear and crisp. clicks were also more positive on the bushnell. I think the SS has the most range in clicks, and has around 150moa elevation at 60clicks per revolution), so that should help shooting out to 200. But I would go with the bushy, just for the better glass. Dont own the crossfire, but have 3 vipers and they are excellent scopes. Look through all of them if you can, people's eyes are different sometimes, and whichever looks the best to you is the best, because you are the one shooting the rifle.

BrettSass844
09-16-2010, 02:19 PM
More than likely I will just go with a new MKII FV model. Not sure if this is a e receiver or not so I will do a little more research and cross that bridge when the time comes. Is there any options for a over sized tactical bolt knob other than what's offered on the TR? That's one thing I would like to have to make the look and feel a little more like a trainer. Other than that the boyds tacticool stock, and bushnell 10x or Vortex crossfire will complete the build. Pretty excited to get this one kicked off considering the price of 22LR ammo. No load development and handloading equipment needed this time! :)

2guard
09-16-2010, 02:31 PM
You could order a bolt knob and have it installed. I've got one on order from this guy:
http://www.boltknobsbybill.com/Styles.htm

I'm going to have my smith intall it, it takes a 5/16 X 24 threaded bolt handle. Any smith could probably make one and install it for you, probably looking at $50-70 depending on your area (thats custom knob and install, install only should be cheaper).

If you get the tact stock and bottom metal, stockys recommends the screws, but my fit and torqued down fine. I needed two smaller wood screws for the rear of the trigger guard and the rear of the mag bottom metal, but thats easy.

have fun

BrettSass844
09-16-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm also considering a Wallis Forge stock. They're a full sized trainer. Price isn't that bad considering he makes and installs his own bottom metal. Might be worth the extra hundred bucks. Sure has some features the boyds doesn't come with. I have heard excellent reviews from everyone that's had one. Could be something to look into a little more!

BrettSass844
09-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Anyone have experience with a Wallis Forge stock? I would like to see some pics or hear a little more feedback.

TOP PREDATOR
09-18-2010, 07:48 PM
i'd like to see a link to wallis forge, i did a search and came up with nothing.

to the OP, although the accutrigger is nicer than no accutrigger, i would think about putting a rifle basix in it.

any of those optics will do fine. i am more of a 4-16x or 6-24x optic guy, especially for 200 yards. i like the idea of spotting and shooting the target with the same optic.

any oversized knob can be put on it, it's just a matter of getting it threaded. hell i've made my own on one:
LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - tactical/o.sized bolt knob (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1655353#Post1655353)

the rimfire tech D.I.P. base is the way to go.
RIMFIRE TECHNOLOGIES DIVERSIFIED INNOVATIVE PRODUCTS (D.I.P.)/ EGW MOA BASE REVIEW (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1638315#Post1638315)

viper9696
09-18-2010, 09:26 PM
http://www.wallisforge.com/11929.html

scroll down

TOP PREDATOR
09-19-2010, 07:02 PM
thanks.

BrettSass844
09-19-2010, 07:37 PM
I sent a message regarding the Wallis Forge stock. I got a quick response back. 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Not bad at all. I am sold on one for sure! Good product + good customer service gets my business every time. IMO that is the best looking stock available and its a good price! Top predator I know your a rimfire guru. What did you think?

BrettSass844
09-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Ordered the stock. Plan to top it with the crossfire for now. The 70 moa of adjustment with a 20 moa base will get me to 200 so that will be fine! I will post pics when I start assembling it.

kentucky gunner
10-15-2010, 05:07 AM
good looking stock for sure. it will serve you well in getting range time in on a budget. looks better than the sss stocks to me.