PDA

View Full Version : Primer Cratering

Pages : 1 2 [3]

mnbogboy2
01-27-2020, 06:47 PM
I converted a non accutrigger model to accutrigger. I guess there could be something askew. Can you give more information about the over travel screw?

I don't believe any of the accutrigger models have an overtravel screw. A good check for sear interference with the trigger is to hold the trigger down and operate the bolt release through its full stroke. It should not "rub" the trigger behind the trigger sear. If it does something is preventing the trigger from moving back far enough. This is common where overtravel screws are used as in aftermarket triggers & the old three screw triggers.

deertroy1
01-27-2020, 08:30 PM
I don't believe any of the accutrigger models have an overtravel screw. A good check for sear interference with the trigger is to hold the trigger down and operate the bolt release through its full stroke. It should not "rub" the trigger behind the trigger sear. If it does something is preventing the trigger from moving back far enough. This is common where overtravel screws are used as in aftermarket triggers & the old three screw triggers.

Thanks. I'll check.

s3silver
01-28-2020, 12:45 AM
I'd stop worrying about it and shoot more :)

My Axis in .223 has cratered primers since the first day I got it. Well over 2000 rounds now and it still does it. Not any worse than when new. No ill effects on rifle or brass. Still shoots better than I do :)

Most of my Savage rifles crater primers even with lower charges or with factory ammo.. At first I was concerned too but started to pay close attention to the “normal” crater look to see if it started changing indicating pressures are increasing. As pressure increases the crater will start to look different. So far so good.

sharpshooter
01-28-2020, 01:22 AM
I had to hunt, but I found the picture.6874

s3silver
01-28-2020, 03:29 AM

Haven’t tried it but is there enough meat on the Savage firing pin to grind down for a more blunt end and then readjust the pin protrusion?

deertroy1
01-28-2020, 08:08 AM

This is exactly what I ended up with but it ended up blanking primers. Thus part of the reason I want to convert it the multi-piece firing pin.

Dave Hoback
01-28-2020, 08:45 AM
Haven’t tried it but is there enough meat on the Savage firing pin to grind down for a more blunt end and then readjust the pin protrusion?

Yes, even on the 1-piece pin. As protrusion starts at .055”+. Gives a go on the 1-piece. But the OP, already having done this, most likely is about out of room. And he said it was having ignition problems. The adjustable pin has room to accomplish this reshaping many, many times over!

I shape my pins along these lines, but slightly different. I reduce the diameter via bevel, but only .035” of the pin(the protruded length so the pin is still fully supported in the bolt head.) Then I the make the pin face surface flat(as the posted picture).

deertroy1
01-30-2020, 08:07 PM
I did measure the pin diameter at 0.0678"