PDA

View Full Version : Barrel for LWH. Questions.

Hornseeker
12-06-2017, 11:10 AM
I picked up the 243 for a screaming deal recently, because I love the LWH, and I am not opposed to the 243... but, I now want to make it into a 6.5, 260, 7-08 or even 308. I'm most interested in finding a take off or picking up a factory barrel... trying to save $$. I'd consider an aftermarket barrel if it wasn't gonna be several hundred dollars.

Anyone have advice for best way to find a takeoff in any of these calibera? If I did order a custom barrel, what is this contour called??

thanks for any advice!

HS

SageRat Shooter
12-06-2017, 11:40 AM
For a light weight hunter, you're going to want a "Sporter" contour... I only have experience with Criterion (CBI) aftermarket barrels myself, but a different barrel maker may have a "light sporter" contour...?

J.Baker
12-06-2017, 01:00 PM
The LWH contour is actually slightly smaller than a standard sporter barrel. Savage's official name for it is "MEGA-Lite Sporter". They're 20" long compared to the usual 22" length and they're 0.550" at the muzzle. Closest aftermarket contour would probably be Winchester Featherweight.

Hornseeker
12-06-2017, 09:47 PM
Thank you. I may be patient and try and find a take off somewhere... sometime!

grouse
12-09-2017, 09:18 PM
a standard sporter will fit just in fine in a lwh stock. I have several

Hornseeker
12-10-2017, 11:39 PM
Do you have any takeoffs?

jpdown
12-11-2017, 01:12 PM
A Savage 22" factory sporter barrel or Axis barrel will work/fit a Savage 11/111 LWH action with the walnut stock or the Savage 16 LWH action with synthetic stock. It will add about 4-6 oz more to the rifle weight vs. sticking with the 20" factory FW contour barrel. Become a paid member on this site for access to the classified section and to buy or trade Savage parts. Paid members regularly list new or used "take off" barrels in the classified section. Also check Ebay and GunBroker for new or used take-off barrels. You should be able to find a Savage or Axis 22" factory sporter barrel in the caliber you want.

LoneWolf
12-11-2017, 01:31 PM
If you register as a paid member you can get into the classified forums. Take off barrels in the calibers listed come up all the time! And you'll be helping us keep the site up and running!