PDA

View Full Version : SSS Barrel lug question

Yotewhacker
09-14-2010, 09:24 PM
I am installing a new LW barrel on my model 12 action so I thought I would use one of the SSS barrel lugs for the job. The problem is that the SSS lug is taller and thicker than the standard Savage that was on before. I am installing this action in a Mcmillan stock, and wonder if I should mill off the required .050" from the bottom of the lug, or deepen the channel in the synthetic stock. I do plan on epoxy bedding the action at some point anyway, but carving inside of a $500.00 stock makes me nervous non the less. :-\

stumpjumper400
09-14-2010, 09:30 PM
That's a tough one. I would be leery either way. Was the new stock just not deep enough? I have sss lugs in three of my guns that are in three diff. stocks and not a problem. none of them are MM.

dcloco
09-14-2010, 09:31 PM
If rifle is still apart and you have access to a mill, then take 0.100 off the lug.

drybean
09-14-2010, 09:37 PM
modify the cheapest parts to replace first

Yotewhacker
09-14-2010, 09:48 PM
That's a tough one. I would be leery either way. Was the new stock just not deep enough? I have sss lugs in three of my guns that are in three diff. stocks and not a problem. none of them are MM.

Nope. The stock is shy .050" for the lug settling deep enough to line up with the receiver when doing a dry fit of the parts.

geargrinder
09-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Since you plan on bedding the stock anyway go ahead and muck out the recoil lug slot with a dremel. That's the most critical parts to bed anyway.

ellobo
09-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Go ahead and mill off the bottom of the lug to match the depth of the original lug. Nothing wrong with that and it will give you the same surface of lug to take the thrust. I wouldnt muck around with a dremel in a $500 stock where you really cant tell how deep your going.

El Lobo

sharpshooter
09-15-2010, 02:10 AM
The lug is oversize for a reason. Cut the recoil lug pocket deeper and bed it.

stumpjumper400
09-15-2010, 09:32 AM
There you have it. Straight from the man that built the lug. Hog out the stock.

khuff
09-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Well I would listen to Jim Briggs (Sharpshooter), knowledge and experience count a lot, in my opinion. I don't see how removing .05"=1/20" of material will hurt the integrity of the stock.

Yotewhacker
09-15-2010, 10:09 AM
The lug is oversize for a reason. Cut the recoil lug pocket deeper and bed it.

Thanks Fred. I am shipping my rifle to you in the near future when my 308 Brux barrel comes in, at that time you are doing an action job so I may just wait and have you do the bedding as well. As Khuff pointed out, so little material needs to be removed that I can just take my time and get it done. The SSS barrel lug does fit nice and tight in the stock recess compared to the thinner factory one that had some slop, and varied in thickness around it's perimeter by more than a few thou.

Jeff Y.

DGD6MM
09-15-2010, 10:23 AM
The sharpshooter reply cam from Fred, the owner of SSS. Do exactly what Fred said and after it is done, you will be waaaaaay ahead of the game. All the info is on this site for this job, just search and ask questions if need be. If you can change a tire, you can do this.

Blue Avenger
09-15-2010, 06:29 PM
When you bed a rifle, It helps to grind some groves in the stock anyway so the bedding material has something to mechanically lock into. also to give the material a little thickness, not just a ultra thin layer that could flake off.