PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 lrh scope

brandon.morris05
12-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Hey guys, I recently made the switch from remington to savage after 20 years of owning pretty much nothing except 700's/700 customs. I picked up a model 111 long range hunter in 300 win. I will be primarily using it on deer/elk in oregon, montana, wyoming, and idaho open country and will most likely be shooting under 700 yds. I have installed warne 2 pc mounts and warne maxima steel rings, but, need to find good glass with a mounting surface of 6 1/8" to fit as I do not want a pic rail or the front mount floating over the action. Can anyone recommend a solid scope with an elevation turret that fits these criteria? I have mostly owned leupold up to this point and have been satisfied

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

SageRat Shooter
12-06-2017, 12:40 PM
If you find one, Please let us know.... I have the VX-2 4-12x40 on my 111 30-06 and had to put the 0MOA rail on it in order to be able to put the scope on correctly (including eye relief) which is going to be the trickiest part.

brandon.morris05
12-06-2017, 01:18 PM
If you find one, Please let us know.... I have the VX-2 4-12x40 on my 111 30-06 and had to put the 0MOA rail on it in order to be able to put the scope on correctly (including eye relief) which is going to be the trickiest part.Thanks for the responce, I'm finding that about 1/2 of the manufacturers have mounting surface in their specs online, it's looking like the nightforce shv and larger vortex's have a mounting area of >6.125, I find it difficult to fork out that kind of cash for a product that I have no personal experience with, but, I'm really chomping at the bit here with 50 handloads I can't yet shoot

SageRat Shooter
12-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the responce, I'm finding that about 1/2 of the manufacturers have mounting surface in their specs online, it's looking like the nightforce shv and larger vortex's have a mounting area of >6.125, I find it difficult to fork out that kind of cash for a product that I have no personal experience with, but, I'm really chomping at the bit here with 50 handloads I can't yet shoot

Vortex is pretty good optics, Perhaps look at a Sightron... Glass is comparable to Nightforce, but about a $1000 less... The SFP version (6-24x50) is about $900 through optics planet if I remember correctly. It also has 100 MOA of elevation.

I have one in FFP and I love it!! (80 MOA in elevation) I've got in on my 260 REM for Varminting at long range or ringing steel at 1000 yards. Although I have yet to ring steel at that distance.... I'll get there someday (if it ever quits raining).

Edit: ooops... I was thinking the NF NXS... the SHV is in the same ball park $ wise... There's also the Sightron S-Tac that may be a better fit for your hunting purposes... It's a lot less then the SIII line which is what I have.

brandon.morris05
12-06-2017, 07:48 PM
I will have to do some digging on sightron, and try to do a side by side with vortex and noghtforce. Don't feel bad on the 1k shots, I swear 10 years ago I could hit targets further with a basic 4-12 vx2 that I can now with much better equipment and knowledge

s3silver
12-06-2017, 11:48 PM
The Vortex Viper line are around $500-600 with 65 moa adjustments. Should be plenty out to 700 yards.

What made you switch to the barrel nut?

brandon.morris05
12-06-2017, 11:54 PM
The Vortex Viper line are around $500-600 with 65 moa adjustments. Should be plenty out to 700 yards.

What made you switch to the barrel nut?I had been seeing a steady decline in quality from remington for a while, while at the same time I kept hearing of the accuracy coming out of the savages. Not to mention the fact that I can swap my own barrel now :)

s3silver
12-12-2017, 04:46 AM
Let us know how she shoots for you. Being able to switch barrels myself was a big plus for me also.

penna shooter
12-12-2017, 05:08 AM
I don't know the exact specs, but I just picked up a Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16-44mm for my 12FV 22-250Rem....Never used, shot, looked at vortex until now....Good glass, tracks well, top turret custom stop for zero, left side parallax adjustments....Solid glass....Big fan

RandyB
12-21-2017, 12:00 AM
I don't know the exact specs, but I just picked up a Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16-44mm for my 12FV 22-250Rem....Never used, shot, looked at vortex until now....Good glass, tracks well, top turret custom stop for zero, left side parallax adjustments....Solid glass....Big fan

I just bought this scope from Cabela's with Holiday coupons at $302. I am pretty happy with it, but have only laser bore sighted it and looked at the neighbors... lol

yobuck
12-21-2017, 10:23 AM
Hey guys, I recently made the switch from remington to savage after 20 years of owning pretty much nothing except 700's/700 customs. I picked up a model 111 long range hunter in 300 win. I will be primarily using it on deer/elk in oregon, montana, wyoming, and idaho open country and will most likely be shooting under 700 yds. I have installed warne 2 pc mounts and warne maxima steel rings, but, need to find good glass with a mounting surface of 6 1/8" to fit as I do not want a pic rail or the front mount floating over the action. Can anyone recommend a solid scope with an elevation turret that fits these criteria? I have mostly owned leupold up to this point and have been satisfied

Send your old Leupold back and for about $90 they will install an elevation knob for you.
Or for about $25 more they will install both knobs.
While their at it they will go over the entire scope, and if they find a problem they will fix it.
If they cant fix it then guess what? they will send you a new scope on them.
But they will still charge for the knob. lol

firstblood807
12-22-2017, 07:44 AM
What is your Budget if money isn't a factor i would consider a Vortex or NF NXS scope