PDA

View Full Version : Fcp-sr stock and bottom metal to savage 12fv

Pmcjeep
12-05-2017, 12:01 AM
I have a factory fcp-sr stock newer style and bottom metal left over from my .308 build. I just picked up a savage 12fv in 6.5 Creedmoor and wanted to know if the .308 stock and bottom metal will work on the 6.5. Also will the 6.5 ammo feed from the .308 mag. Thanks

NicfromAlabama
12-05-2017, 01:37 AM
The .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor both use the Standard Short Action magazine. If your FCP-SR was an Accustock model, I don't think the 12FV will fit in it as the recoil lug for Accustock rifles is different. Doing some reading, I read the Accustock recoil lug is shorter. The recoil lug on the 12FV will bottom out before fitting properly in the aluminum portion of the Accustock if that is true. I think I read about others using a Dremel to shorten the recoil lug on a standard stocked rifle so it would fit in the Accustock. But, before you break out a Dremel, don't take my word for it as I am not 100% sure of that.

Pmcjeep
12-05-2017, 01:48 AM
Ok so if I’m not able to use the stock would I be able to use the bottom metal and mag for now in a stock like the Choate 25-06-01?

NicfromAlabama
12-05-2017, 02:02 AM
I really don't know about the Choate stock. I do know the Accustock has a slightly different bottom metal design than others, such as the bottom metal in my HS Precision stocks. Here is a thread I found about the bottom metals.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?54156-Accustock-inletting-vs-regular-bottom-metal-inletting

big honkin jeep
12-05-2017, 06:44 PM
Most here who have the tools would probably just swap out the recoil lug and be good to go. If you dont have the tools, sell the FV takeoff and cover part of the cost of the recoil lug,an action wrench and barrel nut wrench. Cheaper than an aftermarket stock and then you'll have the tools. Then prepare for the barrel swapping madness to begin. Just a suggestion because some of us cant resist to tinker.

subinoob
12-06-2017, 08:18 PM
I didn't even think about the 12fv not fitting the fcp-sr stock. I just bought one off of the marketplace here and not sure if I want to grind the recoil lug down to fit or if I even want to buy the tools right now so I can take the barrel off.

Pmcjeep
01-01-2018, 10:25 AM
Figured I’d update this. I ended up ordering a Choate stock 25-06-01 and using the factory bottom metal and mag from the .308. Sold the accustock to regain some money. Now I’m just waiting on my scope to arrive.