PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle rise

MarkTC
12-04-2017, 06:32 PM
I have an axisII hb in a 6.5 creedmoor. When I took it to the range to check it out I noticed what seems to me as very bad muzzle rise. I have to look for the target after each shot and at 100 yards I couldn’t keep it on paper. Moved to 50 yards and got it on paper but with a very large group. I had bought a mdt chassis for it at the same time so I put it together and the rifle now weights 12 lbs with same results. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

DavidJ
12-05-2017, 01:35 AM
http://www.area419.com/product/hellfire_st/

pisgah
12-05-2017, 08:58 AM
Change the shooter and see what happens before you do anything else. You'll eventually regret that 12 pounds if you ever plan anything but shooting from a bench.

MarkTC
12-05-2017, 09:48 AM
It will never be anything but a bench gun. And a muzzle brake isn’t an option for me.

LoneWolf
12-05-2017, 12:23 PM
What's your shooting set up? get me a picture of how your setting up and maybe I can provide a few pointers to better control recoil. Other option is a heavier contour barrel.

SageRat Shooter
12-05-2017, 01:33 PM
I built my 260 rem off a 111 action, put a heavy varmint CBI barrel 25", A Boyds Pro Varmint, 6-24x50 Sightron FFP, and A Harris Bipod... Weight is about 13.4 lbs.... I have no muzzle brake or Can on mine and I can't keep it on paper @ 100 yards either.... Shooting the 143 ELD-X @ 2750 FPS.

Still shoots .5 MOA if I do my part.

Do you use a rear bag?

MarkTC
12-05-2017, 02:32 PM
If I’m using bipod no but I do with my bench rest.

SageRat Shooter
12-05-2017, 02:38 PM
If I’m using bipod no but I do with my bench rest.

I use a rear bag when shooting off bipod or Bags (Bench rest).... I used to never use a rear bag, but it sure does shrink my groups down.

I had to do a ton of work on my axis to get it to shoot (22-250) well.... Although with the Chassis I would have thought that would help a lot... I had to glass bed and pillar bed mine into the Prairie hunter Stock I got for it.... Before It would start shooting one hole groups... It's a budget rifle for sure and the QC is lacking. My Chamber had to be taken to a gunsmith and Reamed out before I could even chamber a round. The Barrel wasn't terrible, but was far from being CBI quality.... I got down the rabbit hole a little too far (with upgrades) before I figured out that maybe I would have been better served to start with a better platform... 11/111 12/112.

MarkTC
12-05-2017, 03:00 PM
I did this to play with the 6.5 cm round more than the rifle. If I was lucky ( and usually I’m not ) I’d have a decent rifle when I got done with load development. I’ve asked savage if this is normal but so far all I’ve heard is crickets from that direction.

SageRat Shooter
12-05-2017, 03:22 PM
Yeah.... Crickets is about what you'll get from them. Did you go through the rifle to make sure the scope bases, rings, and action screws were all torqued to spec before you took it out? or even after you put the chassis on?

Evlshnngns
12-05-2017, 03:51 PM
You're asking why your gun moves after a shot? What other calibers do you shoot? The axis heavy barrels are not very long, that doesn't help. My 6.5cm has a 26" heavy barrel and it won't keep the target in the sight picture after shooting 125gr Winchester hunting round. The only guns I have that will sit relatively still are my 223 and below. I hope I learn something from this thread.

MarkTC
12-05-2017, 03:53 PM
Yeah checked all screws and bolts more than once. Changed scopes with new rings. I’ve had some hard recoiling rifles before but this is the worst. From what I’ve read about the cartridge it should be milder than a 308. idk

SageRat Shooter
12-05-2017, 04:07 PM
It does recoil less than a 308... I'm all out of suggestions for fixing the Axis.... Think you might just Rebarrel it.... Or sell it, and look at the Savage 12FV in 6.5 Creedmoor from Cabelas... It's 3 times the rifle as the axis.

What scope do you have on it?

MarkTC
12-05-2017, 04:18 PM
You're asking why your gun moves after a shot? What other calibers do you shoot? The axis heavy barrels are not very long, that doesn't help. My 6.5cm has a 26" heavy barrel and it won't keep the target in the sight picture after shooting 125gr Winchester hunting round. The only guns I have that will sit relatively still are my 223 and below. I hope I learn something from this thread. in my past I’ve shot anything from a B.B. gun to a 50 cal. rifle this thing picked itself up off my bench rest and came down about a foot to the right. After that I used a bipod. I may have to start using a sling.

MarkTC
12-06-2017, 12:25 PM
What's your shooting set up? get me a picture of how your setting up and maybe I can provide a few pointers to better control recoil. Other option is a heavier contour barrel. I’d send you a picture but I haven’t figured out how to work that yet.

Deadshot2
12-06-2017, 03:10 PM
The effects of recoil can be greatly influenced by the amount of "Drop" built into the butt of the stock. The farther the center of the butt is below the centerline of the barrel, the more muzzle rise when fired.

Some of this can be overcome by the shooter's position and some with some adjustment of the recoil pad (Take a LARGE pad, install it higher on the butt of the stock, then reshape to fit stock.

Lastly, if using a bipod, don't forget to preload the bipod by adjusting position so it forces the rifle forward to the limit of movement in the bipod.

There is an online article titled "Bugholes from a Bipod" (or close to that) that was on the accurateshooter.come site. Read it and he'll explain how to control muzzle jump when using a bipod.

MarkTC
12-06-2017, 05:07 PM
Thank you Deadshot2