PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Savage Action Screws?

Josh Smith
09-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Hello,

I need the thread pitch and diameter of the action screws for a project I'm doing on the Mk II .22LR.

I'm reading 12-28 and 12-32. Which one is correct?

Thanks,

Josh

sharpshooter
09-15-2010, 02:16 AM
12-32, don't bother looking for any at any specialty fastener place because they don't exist. The only source is Savage. If you need something longer, I would retap the stand offs to use 1/4-28.

jwpark
09-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Wonder why Savage uses such an rare thread size and pitch

sniper13
09-21-2010, 06:05 PM
I had a buddy of mine who works at a machine shop turn down a 1/4-20 to a 12/32 works great. The other problem i had was the stock action screws are way to short for an aftermarket stock...

mr45acp2u
09-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Savage has two options for the screws, standard and those for wood stocks. The ones for the wood stocks are a little bit longer, but they are a much nicer screw. The head is larger, and they just seem to be better made that the standard ones. Price isnt bad, and shipping is $6.00, so order a few mags while you are there and you come out ahead. The mags are a pretty decent price through them.

sha-ul
02-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Wonder why Savage uses such an rare thread size and pitch

I have spent a while looking for some longer screws here too, talk about a goose chase.:sheesh:
I have a couple feelers out to some fastener makers. this is a standard thread size/ pitch, mscdirect.com has taps &dies for this, but it is a NEF national extra fine pitch, similar to the 1/2-28 used on muzzle accessories for 223 class rifles& the 5/8-24 used for 30 cal rifles.

sha-ul
02-10-2011, 10:58 PM
well (*!@#$%^&U*

I called up Savage to order longer screws to attach the wooden stock, the part# 106875 was listed as "take down screw, Boyd's stock" sounded like it should be the one, but nope, 3/4" usable length under the head to the end of the threads, the exact same as the synthetic stock. $20 wasted. for 2 screws, that are still too friggen short. >:( >:(

I'm ready to find a machine shop with a screw machine& have them run off about 1000 of these ~ 1-1/4 long, trim to fit.

Avery
02-11-2011, 04:05 PM
I have had a circus show trying to get the right screws for mt Boyd's stack.
"106875 is the longest and it will work."
Does not work.
Today I got a 704347. It is long enough and I know it will work. It is even too long for the front screw that goes thru the bottom metal. I can fix that, I cannot fix too short. Mine were sent free because the ones that I first received were too short. I measure them at about 1 3/16" from the bottom of the head to the end of the threads.

sha-ul
02-11-2011, 05:15 PM
I have had a circus show trying to get the right screws for mt Boyd's stack.
"106875 is the longest and it will work."
Does not work.
Today I got a 704347. It is long enough and I know it will work. It is even too long for the front screw that goes thru the bottom metal. I can fix that, I cannot fix too short. Mine were sent free because the ones that I first received were too short. I measure them at about 1 3/16" from the bottom of the head to the end of the threads.

I feel your pain. if it wasn't for the fact that I need to have this rifle ready to go tonight, I would call Savage back & raise hell, other wise at this point, I will look at drilling& tapping the stand-offs for 1/4-28.

If I had some money to invest I would find a machine shop,& have them run off 1-2K of these stupid bolts& sell them to all the poor bastards that want to swap stocks.

thirty06
02-11-2011, 06:05 PM
I guess I got lucky I've had to order screws and bottom metal twice from Savage.
Got the right pieces both times. They have what they call a kit. Don't remember exactly but around $30.00.
Came with bottom metal, trigger guard, screws and new standoff. Never did use the standoff.

sha-ul
02-14-2011, 12:42 AM
I tried to do what I could on Friday to get this rifle where I could give it to my boy& take him to the shoot on Sat, I ran all over to several machine shops to see if someone could turn down& re-thread some longer bolts, struck out, tried to find some 1/4-28 bolts at least 1" long, the longest allen head at the hardware store was 3/4". So I picked up some 5/16" bolts, turned off the existing threads& ran the die onto it to cut some 1/4-28 threads, the hardware store only sold standard plug taps, so I could not cut much for threads, I tried to grind a bit from the bottom of the tap to make it more of a bottoming tap, then the tap broke off in the hole. FRICK!! >:(
So, I looked at removing the stand offs I was ablt to get the rear stand off but was unsuccessful at removing all of the tap. I was considering brazing a nut to the bottom of the stand off, but didn't want to braze with it on the action, the rear & middle stand offs were in with a decent amount of torque, So I applied a similar amount to the front one, but it came out weird, turns out that on the front stand off, after they torque it in, they cross drill& install a barrel pin through about 1/3rd of the threads, so, when it came out, it buggered up the threads on the action. >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'(
at this point I will have to send the rifle back to Savage, When I do, I will probably send it directly to the president of Savage arms, with a letter. If they choose to engineer a rifle with such a bastard sized stock to action bolt, then they had better have a kick ass parts department, that knows what size bolt you need, with additional sizes listed as options, or find a standard thread. This rifle was to be for the first of my 4 kids, I would have been better off, spending the additional money & buying a Ruger. which btw I can actually find parts for. I am sorry to have wasted my time& money on this MKII.