PDA

View Full Version : Best model savage for deer hunting

tb80
12-01-2017, 11:05 PM
I am just now learning about savages and just picked up a savage 11 doa in 7mm08. However, I was curious if there was one particular savage model that was best for deer hunting. I’m not asking about calibers, just which model was best fit for deer hunting. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lonestardiver
12-02-2017, 01:01 AM
The one you are comfortable with both in hitting your point of aim and lugging around in the field. If I wanted an all season rifle it might be the weather warrior. In the end best comes down to personal preference. What is best for me may not be the best for you. There is nothing wrong with the model 11. I’d take it deer hunting.

penna shooter
12-02-2017, 10:21 AM
Your preference to what feels good in your hands....Short or Long action for your area of operation...Hold a few models and shoulder them and see what fits...Good luck and enjoy.

VAFISH
12-02-2017, 06:18 PM
Depends upon where and how you hunt.

Here in Virginia our average shot is something like 25-35 yards according to our game department. Lots of small fields and thick brush. Also our deer are fairly small. Many areas are shotgun only. A 220 slug gun with the barrel cut back to 18.5" would be about perfect.

But if you hunt out west and have long shots, don't walk much something with a 26" heavy barrel might be a better choice. Or if you are in the mountains and have to walk a good distance you want something lighter to carry.

So pretty much what the others have said, the best deer rifle is the one that works for you and that may not be the best deer rifle for me.

Your model 11 DOA in 7mm-08 is a pretty decent all around rifle for deer hunting. Although the weather resistance of the 16 in stainless steel might be a bit better. If I were buying a new deer rifle and wanted one gun for any deer hunting I'd probably get a model 16 lightweight hunter in 6.5 creedmore.

big honkin jeep
12-04-2017, 11:29 AM
I prefer something on the light side that's not too long, heavy or cumbersome.
Something without long or heavy barrels, protruding magazines, bi pods or other accoutrements.
I also like the weather resistance of a stainless finish combined with a synthetic stock.
The model 11/111s are a good choice but the 16/116s have added weather resistance and a lower maintenance finish by comparison.
That would be my preference.

BB68
12-04-2017, 02:00 PM
When I think of deer hunting I think about all the nicks and scratches that gun will get. So either the cheapest or a stainless synthetic stocked rifle.

savagecornmuffin
12-05-2017, 02:27 PM
It's really your preference. Personally, I like a standard weight rifle in a 20-24 inch barrel with a regular 3-9x40 scope. I have a buddy the likes a really heavy gun (11.5 lbs) with a 50mm scope and another we hunt with guy have uses a Weatherby rifle with a 26" barrel and a 20x scope of some kind.

But,... currently I'm using a 25-06 single shot rifle with a 28" barrel.

So,.. just run what you bring or get whats gets ya wet. As long as it puts lead where point it, it's good to go.

jim_k
12-05-2017, 06:01 PM
You've got one that's as good as it gets.

VAFISH
12-06-2017, 05:08 PM
You've got one that's as good as it gets.

Having it in a Stainless Model 16 might be a little better for the corrosion resistance, however keeping rust off your gun isn't that difficult with some basic maintenance. If someone handed me a Savage 11 DOA in 7mm-08 and said "This is the only rifle you can use for deer hunting for the rest of your life" I wouldn't be that upset.

Newtosavage
12-06-2017, 08:48 PM
I am just now learning about savages and just picked up a savage 11 doa in 7mm08. However, I was curious if there was one particular savage model that was best for deer hunting. I’m not asking about calibers, just which model was best fit for deer hunting. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, you have it.

I'm in the process of converting my model 10 to 7mm-08 for deer hunting, but you're there already.

jw in va
12-06-2017, 09:23 PM
You have a good one now.I prefer to carry my Stevens 200 in 7mm/08 over my 110 in 30/06 but that's my preferance.You want the one that fits you , feels right in your hands and ,most importatly hits what you aim at.