PDA

View Full Version : Axis package scope mounts/rings any good?

farmer44mag
12-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Just ordered a .243 youth model for my daughter for Christmas to ake advantage of rebates. Only thing in stock dealer could get from his suppliers was the package model. I know the scope is crap but are the rings and mounts good? If so its worth the extra $30 I paid over the standard youth model. Have had great hunting success with my standard .223 axis and Stainless .30-06 Axis. They have become my go to rifles and love the money they saved me I could spend on better glass. I put Dnz one piece mounts on those and they're great.

BB68
12-01-2017, 02:24 PM
Im letting my kid use his as purchased - same package.

J.Baker
12-01-2017, 06:56 PM
They're sufficient, but not of the best quality. Rings remind me of the cheap $8 old tasco's you'd get at K-Mark back in the 1980's. I have a couple sets I keep around in case I need a set in a pinch.

Evlshnngns
12-01-2017, 09:19 PM
For a package gun, I like the weaver scope. The rings....time will tell.

DrThunder88
12-02-2017, 04:38 AM
You know, Robert Pirsig says quality exists in the instant between perception and recognition. That said, the factory optics system doesn't seem that good, but that's the impression that I get. I don't think I've ever actually used them. It could be more than adequate for the vast majority of Axis owners.

Deadshot2
12-02-2017, 06:36 PM
I'd think the scope and rings are just fine for a beginner. Sooner or later the rifle will fall over because it wasn't properly propped against a tree, vehicle, etc. Better with these parts than a $500+ setup.

After a learning period, assuming the kid retains interest in shooting/hunting, upgrade scope and rings, perhaps the entire rifle.

Think of a teenager with a car they will be learning to drive with. A brand new Lexus or perhaps a good used car that runs good but has a few dents in it already. :) :)

jw in va
12-07-2017, 09:50 PM
New shooters need to learn to take care of a rifle but if it's too nice they may worry too much about putting a scratch on it and not enjoy it.I have a Remington 552 semi auto I hardly use and never carry in the woods because its too pretty.Have changed several wood stocks over to plastic for the same reason.