PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11 Barrel/Stock Issue

tb80
11-30-2017, 10:25 PM
I recently got a Savage DOA in 7mm08. The barrel isn’t exactly lined up with the stock. It is closer to the left side than the right. It is not touching but really close to touching. Any concerns. If so, best way to fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyShackle
11-30-2017, 11:06 PM
Could be that the receiver threads are not cut concentric to the aliagnment of the receiver,....or just the stock is slightly warped to one side a tad. No concerns if it isn’t touching or causing issues. You could always remove a little material from the stock on that side if it bothers you that much. And if you’re concerned about the barrel being canted to one side you could always verify by using a real long straight edge down the side of the receiver and measure the distance from the end of the bbl to the straight edge on both sides.

gbflyer
12-01-2017, 12:29 AM
I recently trued a 116. The receiver face was .006 out from centerline. The factory recoil lug is .003 out top to bottom. That could easily show on stock gap. I'm still not convinced that it makes much practical difference in group size though. I'd say relieve the close side and give it a whirl.

Haiku_Rodney
12-01-2017, 04:47 PM
I have an 11 in 7mm-08. Same problem. Rifle will shoot 2" groups at 200 yds which is good enough for me. One day I will get around to replacing the stock. The rifle is strictly used for hunting so I am not looking for one hole groups.

J.Baker
12-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Or more than likely there's just a slight bow in the cheap synthetic stock.