PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas's 12FV: I got a Lefty Bolt in A Right Hand rifle

clerkofkirk
11-30-2017, 04:10 PM
Went out to sight in my 12FV and guess what, the ejector is on the wrong side. It tries to eject left except that its a right hand gun. Called Savage and they said have Cabela's sent it in or pay for the shipping myself. I pointed out that it was their screw up so why do I have to pay to send it in to fix it.

Now I have to drive to Cabela's and fight with them because it already has a different barrel than what came with it. That barrel has already been sold.

Grrrrrr.

If worse comes to worst I guess I can just change out the bolt head, right?

Hammer
11-30-2017, 05:05 PM
or you can machine out another ejection port...

clerkofkirk
11-30-2017, 06:03 PM
I think I'll just get a $25 bolt face and swap it out.

strut64
11-30-2017, 06:21 PM
Much less grief and aggravation. Stick to your blood pressure meds.

sharpshooter
11-30-2017, 07:28 PM
Are you sure it just isn't upside down?

BillPa
11-30-2017, 08:15 PM
Are you sure it just isn't upside down?
That's what I thunk'n.:p

RustyShackle
11-30-2017, 11:01 PM
I was waiting for that response ^^.

clerkofkirk
12-01-2017, 12:24 AM
I had more time to closely inspect this bolt and sure enough, the bolt head had been installed upside down. Disassemble, reassemble correctly and GTG.

In retrospect I probably was the dufus who put the bolt face in upside down when I removed the firing pin and ejector to do the barrel change.

I felt bad about implying that Savage screwed up so I thought I would take the blame so I can sleep tonight.

Hammer
12-01-2017, 08:50 AM
it is not good to get used to accepting the blame

ruins your future political viability

and sleep is over-rated

teele1
12-03-2017, 10:34 AM
clerkofkirk, you are one of few in this world any more that takes responsibility for their own actions. kudos to you sir.

Robinhood
12-04-2017, 01:31 AM
My wife gets this treatment all of the time. "Where did you put my doohicky? I left it right here!"

chop house
12-12-2017, 08:28 AM
I had more time to closely inspect this bolt and sure enough, the bolt head had been installed upside down. ...snip...

I felt bad about implying that Savage screwed up

well, in this case at least they could not have - difficult to pass thru test firing that way. now if some sales counter personnel used the bolt to demo a different bolt handle, or the wonderful nuances of the floating bolt head.... maybe.

+1 to owning up. in engineering we had a saying... "it's only a mistake if you don't catch it yourself"