PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Refinishing Gun Stock

mtbbrewer74
11-28-2017, 08:28 PM
Will refinishing the stock on a old Savage Fox model b reduce its value?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

J.Baker
11-28-2017, 08:55 PM
I would be inclined to say no, so long as it's done properly and the end result is of good quality. Always easier to sell a good looking gun than one with the finish flaking off of it or with cracks or chips out of the furniture.

I always recommend stripping with a chemical solvent rather than sanding. I like Citri Strip as it's environmentally safe and doesn't smell too God-awful. I use a toothbrush to scrub the finish out of areas with checkering, then when I've got all the finish removed I give the entire stock a good wipe down with mineral spirits and again scrub the checkering with mineral spirits to neutralize and remove any remaining stripper.

mtbbrewer74
11-28-2017, 09:04 PM
I would be inclined to say no, so long as it's done properly and the end result is of good quality. Always easier to sell a good looking gun than one with the finish flaking off of it or with cracks or chips out of the furniture.

I always recommend stripping with a chemical solvent rather than sanding. I like Citri Strip as it's environmentally safe and doesn't smell too God-awful. I use a toothbrush to scrub the finish out of areas with checkering, then when I've got all the finish removed I give the entire stock a good wipe down with mineral spirits and again scrub the checkering with mineral spirits to neutralize and remove any remaining stripper.Thanks

big honkin jeep
11-29-2017, 12:31 PM
If you decide to refinish.
I would recommend doing a hand rubbed oil finish with a product like Tru Oil and a lot of coats of it rather than using a polyurethane or varnish. I've done both and the oil finish is far superior especially in the long run.

mtbbrewer74
11-29-2017, 12:38 PM
If you decide to refinish.
I would recommend doing a hand rubbed oil finish with a product like Tru Oil and a lot of coats of it rather than using a polyurethane or varnish. I've done both and the oil finish is far superior especially in the long run.Thanks

J.Baker
11-29-2017, 02:16 PM
I also like to cut Tru-oil 50/50 with mineral spirits for the first coat or two. Thinning it down helps it penetrate deeper into the wood.

mtbbrewer74
11-29-2017, 03:13 PM
Will do

Robinhood
11-29-2017, 06:21 PM
Good stuff Jim and Jeep.