PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood stock, blind magazine

sscav
11-27-2017, 05:37 PM
Did I miss a memo or is Savage not making the short action rifles with wood stocks and blind magazines anymore? Not counting the Axis models, of course.

J.Baker
11-27-2017, 08:03 PM
Nope, and they haven't made them for quite a few years now. The only models that come with a hardwood stock at this point at the Model 10/110 International Trophy Hunter XP package guns (export only) and the Axis Hardwood, and they all have a DBM's.

Mb1500
11-28-2017, 01:38 PM
I would have got a proper 110 if they were offered new. Only option being a dbm I went with the XP 2 in hardwood.

Hindsight, should have got a 110 and sourced the blind mag parts and stock.

J.Baker
11-28-2017, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I don't know why Savage has all but eliminated the blind magazine option from their line-up. Granted, given that the 110 was only really offered with a blind magazine option for so many years (the old DBM was lack-luster at best), when they came out with the new centerfeed DBM that's what everyone was buying. The hinged floorplate option has all but disappeared as well with the only remaining model to have it being the 16/116 Bear Hunter.

gbflyer
11-29-2017, 12:52 PM
Also hard to find a magazine box for one. I can't find them anywhere.

J.Baker
11-29-2017, 02:14 PM
Magazine box is the same as the DBM's and HFP's on the newer centerfeeds, just have to pop off the bottom plate on the DBM's.

Older staggered feed boxes are another matter as they've been out of production for over a decade now.

gbflyer
11-30-2017, 01:10 PM
Magazine box is the same as the DBM's and HFP's on the newer centerfeeds, just have to pop off the bottom plate on the DBM's.

Older staggered feed boxes are another matter as they've been out of production for over a decade now.

Thanks. Mine is a flat top stagger feed short action 4.25. I ordered PTG's DBM for it as it was on sale recently. Should give me a little more flexibility, although I'm not all that knocked out about the mag sticking out. Prefer flush.