PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 12 VLP 243 Seating Magazine

2434000fps
11-27-2017, 01:17 AM
This rifle from new; will not allow the magazine to seat with the bolt closed.

When I seat the magazine, I must open the bolt. I am therefore forced to load a round into the pipe.

I don’t think this is right. I wonder if it is a a quick adjustment to the removable magazine. What other adjustment could be made to allow the magazine to seat with the bolt closed.

I have not taken this rifle to a gunsmith yet. There are about 200 hand loads through this rifle.

Thanks everyone.

243https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171127/89ab15475e030f5260ebe67cd302707d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zero333
11-27-2017, 10:36 AM
With the bolt closed it's harder to seat the magazine, but not impossible.

However if your rifle will not allow the mag to be forced in with the bolt closed, chances are it's something with the magazine.

If you know someone who has a Short Action Savage magazine (for the 308win family and friends of cartridges) ask them if you can try their mag. Some newer mags can be different style so be aware when borrowing or buying.

RustyShackle
11-27-2017, 12:23 PM
You could also depress the top round with magazine seated(bolt open) and then slide bolt closed over top of loaded magazine.

J.Baker
11-27-2017, 12:48 PM
That's fairly standard, especially if you are loading the magazine to full capacity and there's no room left for the rounds/follow/spring to compress when the top round comes into contact with the bolt. As Rusty said, the simple solution is to just insert the mag with the bolt open, then while supporting the rifle with your off (support) hand directly under the magazine wrap your fingers around and use the tips to depress the top round while closing the bolt over top of it with your strong (trigger) hand.

Same exact procedure you would use for a rifle with a blind magazine.

2434000fps
11-27-2017, 11:46 PM
Thanks guys. I will follow your advise. Happy Monday.

A crappy day at the range is always better than a good day at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk