PDA

View Full Version : New member

chewy1010
11-23-2017, 08:41 PM
Hey guys (and gals hopefully),

New to the forum here but not shooting, or Savage really for that matter. I've got a few older Savages that I've picked up over the years and a 93R17 GLV I've had 8 years or so. Anyway, I've been pouring over copious amounts of Savage info since picking up my second Axis a couple of weeks ago. I bought the first in .270 back in September for $299.00 for my son as his first hunting rifle to go to South Texas. Then a couple of weeks ago I'm in Academy Sports looking for him another box of Hornady ammo just to have extra and low and behold I walk by the gun counter and I saw them again. A 30-06 Axis was glaring at me! This time with a price tag of $249.00 with a $50.00 rebate making it $199.00. Well since my older son had basically "claimed" my other 30-06 I found myself walking out of there with another Axis. Never in a million years did I think that was going to happen. Never planned it. But I've built and own probably about 9 AR's and after awhile it just gets boring.

So, I've got a couple questions. My 17 has an accutrigger. We all know the Axis trigger ain't all that great. My kid could care less, but I'm the consummate tinkerer. I can't leave mine alone. I've done the spring trick. Yea it's better but it doesn't feel as safe. The accutrigger is obviously much safer than no accutrigger, especially when lightening trigger springs. It's my understanding and I've read it on their website that Savage's position is that if it didn't leave the factory with an accutrigger then there's no way to fit it with an accutrigger. We all know that's been debunked. I've read that right here in the short amount of time I've been lurking on this forum. I can also see their position on the earlier Edge/Axis style trigger housings not being able to accept the accutrigger without modification and Savage not wanting to sell parts for that.

Here's my big question. Is the Axis and Axis II receiver the same and if you had the two receivers side by side could you remove the trigger groups from each rifle and swap them over? It appears to me one of the main changes between the Axis and the Axis II is the accutrigger. In one of Savages own promotional videos on the accutrigger for the Axis II they have them lined up on an assembly line applying loc-tite and I swear they look exactly like the Axis trigger group except for the addition of the accutrigger. If I wished to lighten the trigger up for my son why couldn't I be able to buy and install the accutrigger from Savage and install it in his rifle to where he could have a lighter, safer trigger? Are the two receivers, the Axis and the Axis II the same or not? everything I've been able to find as far as videos and articles are at least 3-5 years old. Surely by now someone would know if this was possible without having to fiddle with the factory Axis trigger spring.

Sorry for the long winded first post! I've just got to know! Thanks, Matt

prdatr
11-23-2017, 09:14 PM
Welcome. I can't answer your trigger question but I put a Rifle Basix trigger in my and it can easily go down to two pounds. I paid about $95 for it from Arthur Brown.

foxx
11-23-2017, 09:29 PM
The actions are the same. The Axis can easily accommodate an Accutrigger.

chewy1010
11-23-2017, 09:58 PM
And that was my observation even with my limited experience with the Axis. I guess the thing that gets me is having a Savage rep flat out tell me that it won't work. Like its not totally obvious. I'm not a complete idiot, believe it or not! I understand the money side of it and all and hey, if I wanted an accutrigger I shoulda bought a rifle with an accutrigger. But initially I bought the Axis not knowing if my son was even going to take up the sport. I wasn't going to shell out twice the price only to have it sit around. Now as it turns out he really enjoys it. It would be nice to be able to upgrade his rifle a little maybe with a little better stock, lets say a Savage sporter take off and put an accutrigger on it and let him fine tune the trigger pull. Seems reasonable to me without having to buy an aftermarket trigger. Savage should want me to spend some more of my money on them.

foxx
11-23-2017, 10:25 PM
^^^Nah, I believe they simply do not want to be held accountable or responsible for anything you choose to do with the gun. Asking them if you can do something different to a rifle they build a certain way is kinda goofy in the first place. I don't mean to sound disrespectful, really. What I mean is, you can take your gun to a gunsmith and have him do almost anything imaginable to it without getting their nod of approval or assistance or instructions, etc. It's none of their business. If they say anything different they figure they are accepting responsibility for the actions of others. They have nothing to gain from that. If you look at the Axis and get yourself an Accutrigger and can install it yourself, it can be done. If you can't then you gotta find someone who has the skills, talent, knowledge, experience to do it. Doesn't really matter what Savage has to say about it.

chewy1010
11-23-2017, 11:44 PM
No disrespect taken. I understand what your saying. The problem lies in getting the parts. I have no doubt I'm capable enough of installing the parts. Or if I wasn't by all means I would find a gunsmith to do it for me. Especially if it has to do with safety, be it mine or more so one of my kids. They flat out won't sell the parts unless you're a gunsmith or a licensed ffl holder. I'm not sure what responsibility that takes off of them because as far as I know the accutrigger isn't an NFA item or registered gun part. Or I suppose a person could lie and say they are a gunsmith and they need to replace some parts on a rifle that already has an accutrigger, but then they want the serial number of the rifle. So although the parts will work they are perfectly okay with me replacing them on a rifle that already has the parts in them but I need someone who claims to be a gunsmith or who holds an FFL to buy an accutrigger without proof of what it is going into. Their rules I know. They can do what they want. Just kinda frustrating.

foxx
11-24-2017, 12:01 AM
Just offer to sign a waiver releasing them from responsibility or contact a dealer who will get it for you.

Or, become a "team Savage" member here and place a wtb ad. Someone will come up with one for you.

Also, you don't need a new assembly, just the triiger and it's screws and springs and safety blade, etc.

chewy1010
11-24-2017, 12:28 AM
I was unaware of the waiver. I figured I didn't need all of the parts as most of them looked to be the same. But becoming a team member and buying just the trigger sounds like the best plan yet. Are there guys on here that may have some available? Oh and btw, I appreciate all of your help and kindness to the "new guy".

chewy1010
11-24-2017, 01:40 AM
Alright foxx, done deal. Team member now. Ad posted. Thanks

DrThunder88
11-25-2017, 08:00 AM
There are two different Accutrigger triggers. The newer one drops right in to an Axis, but the old one requires a little filing.

As a fellow tinkerer I have to tell you my favorite way of cleaning up the Axis trigger is to shim it (https://youtu.be/gJijTbWe2wA?list=PL6mstF7_2-gm3WnoBZZ1QLpjIeoFWXqg9). The downside is that the only thing that can be easily adjusted after installing it is the overtravel stop.

I will say my favorite aftermarket trigger for the Axis is the Rifle Basix. More than a Timney or an Accutrigger, a RB is how I imagine triggers are supposed to feel.

fla9-40
11-25-2017, 12:59 PM
^^^ What he said ^^^

I have a several Rifle Basix triggers in my Savage rifles and have never looked back!

chewy1010
11-25-2017, 05:14 PM
I’m aware of the two triggers. Of course I’d rather have the newer one since I have the newer Axis with the aluminum housing. But I could make the older trigger work as well. I just like the accutrigger for the safety factor. Something that’s lacking on the aftermarket triggers.

DrThunder88
11-26-2017, 10:49 AM
I don't know if we're talking about the same thing. I think all Axises have the same aluminum or pot metal trigger housing. The change is on the centerfire Accutrigger trigger lever itself. Early versions of the centerfire Accutrigger had what I refer to as "cheeks" sticking out to the side where the Accurelease spring interfaced with the trigger lever. These cheeks needed to be filed flush to fit in the Axis trigger housing. Sometime later—I assume around the time the Axis II came to market—the centerfire Accutrigger started showing up without the cheeks. That change made it compatible with both 10/110 and Axis rifles.

chewy1010
11-26-2017, 11:27 AM
Gotcha! I think we were in the same general area, but remember, I’m new to the game! Y’all know a lot more about these beast than I do. I figured maybe the early Axis had the stamped steel housing or something. I’m aware of the raised bumps on some accutriggers. I have no problem whatsoever grinding those down. With that being the case though, do you know around what serial number break and or year the switch was made to the Axis II style or whatever we want to call it? That way at least I’d know what year accutrigger to ask for when I have my ffl or gunsmith call to order one. I need to figure all this out cause I’m also buying a left handed 25-06 Axis. Why you might ask? They don’t offer it in the Axis II and I want an accutrigger on it.