PDA

View Full Version : 110 30-06 Misfire at moment of truth !

Pages : 1 2 [3]

ABL1111
12-01-2017, 05:46 PM
OK - That's what I was thinking. Thank you for your help so far. As soon as I can get to the range, I'll try some new ammo. I'll check the new firing pin and spring that I ordered - might not be a bad thing to replace the original anyway.

I have killed a slew of deer with my Marlin 336 in .35, but had a scope mounting issue so I started using my Dad's Savage 110 in 30-06, it has been my 'new' hunting rifle. I have killed, with precision, several nice deer with this gun (2) despite misfires... It feels good in my hand, carry's well, the recoil is nonexistent when I have a deer in my sites, and is quite deadly.

So far, I have adjusted nothing - just have done a lot of measuring.

One last question - is there a way to 'de-cock' the action without pressing the trigger and activating the firing pin ? I hate dry firing a gun but can't seem to figure out another option.

JW
12-02-2017, 08:22 AM
OK -

One last question - is there a way to 'de-cock' the action without pressing the trigger and activating the firing pin ? I hate dry firing a gun but can't seem to figure out another option.

Raise the bolt up, depress trigger and hold, close bolt slowly.
I do not recommend doing this with ammo in the magazine or chamber as the firing pin will be in the protruded/fired position

Smokey262
12-02-2017, 08:33 AM
Wouldn't it be easier/faster/cheaper to just go buy a new box of ammo and see what happens?

ABL1111
12-02-2017, 09:16 AM
JW Thx.

Smokey - yes - you're right ! I have the ammo. But, getting to a range is tough for me with (2) young, active kids, a demanding wife - my weekends are sort of shot. When I need to go hunt or fish I make the time - trust me... Time in front of the computer and making quick and easy measurements was the fastest, easiest for me. I'm a little pissed at myself that I bought the firing pin and spring without going to the range first - but, it is an OLD gun and I figured the spring had to be a little tired.

Hopefully, I can get to the range, there's a town range 2 miles away but its 50 yards only and I want to shoot at 100 yards with another gun to site it in. I'll post my findings.