PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmith Suggestions for Rem 700 and Savage 111

kohler
11-18-2017, 06:41 PM
Looking for gunsmith suggestions for a Savage 111 and a Rem 700.

For the Savage 111, given lead times of some smiths, I would like a couple references for T&T, chambering, and head spacing.

For the Rem 700 several months ago a forum member listed a capable gent in Alaska, could use his name. This is my original rifle from late ’70’s. I’d like a pro to touch it for a rebarrel.

Local suggestions are welcome. Willing to be proven wrong, I live in SE Wisconsin among all the premium barrel makers, just seems to be a lack of matching gunsmiths for these services in this area.

Thanks!

gbflyer
11-19-2017, 01:24 PM
I really think I would send them both to Pac Nor. I've got one of their pre-fit Savage barrels, shoots well, machine work is way better than I can do. They not only build the barrels, they also will install it. That seems to me like a company confident in their products.

LoneWolf
11-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Just rebarrel jobs? With or without the barrel nut? I can list off a number of reputable smith's I'd send them too.

kohler
11-20-2017, 10:16 PM
Thank you, Lone Wolf.

Both Rem 700 and Savage 111’s would be similar in scope - T&T the action, new barrel, new nut and lug, Timney hunting trigger, new laminate Monte Carlo sporter style stock.

The two 111 actions would be first up. The Rem can wait on while funds replenish, but a resource is welcome.

LoneWolf
11-21-2017, 09:23 AM
I would send the Savage to Fred Moreo at SSS and the Remington to one of the following:

Accurate Ordnance
Short Action Customs
Long Rifles Inc
American Precision Arms

There's a number of great smiths out there. You could also just have the actions trued up and do the rest of the work yourself since you want to continue using the Barrel Nut. I've been building my own for the last 3 years.

kohler
11-21-2017, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the references, Lone Wolf.