PDA

View Full Version : New Member from Key West, Florida

KW Gary M
11-08-2017, 09:36 PM
Hi all,

I just joined the forum. Most of my firearms experience is handgun with limited knowledge of rifles. Not a total rifle beginner but not a seasoned pro by any means. I joined the forum because I have a Savage Axis II chambered in 308 that I put a Nikon 4X12-40 scope on and I love it. I am now looking at buying another rifle and am torn between the 25-06 and 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm not sure what caliber I want but I know it will be a Savage.

I'm looking forward to learning, making friends and having fun here.

Gary

big honkin jeep
11-08-2017, 09:52 PM
Welcome.
I love the 25-06 it seems to me that since the 6.5 is all the rage 25-06 seems to have been put on the back burner as far as ammo and .257 component production and availability. The 110gr accubond from a 25-06 is an absolute hammer when they can be found reasonably.

PS: Tell Tyler to go home :)

ttexastom
11-08-2017, 11:25 PM
Welcome to the forum from northeast georgia

KW Gary M
11-09-2017, 08:57 AM
Welcome.
I love the 25-06 it seems to me that since the 6.5 is all the rage 25-06 seems to have been put on the back burner as far as ammo and .257 component production and availability. The 110gr accubond from a 25-06 is an absolute hammer when they can be found reasonably.

PS: Tell Tyler to go home :)

Future ammo availability is my only concern with the 25-06. Otherwise, I'd prefer it over the 6.5 Creedmoor. I am worried that ten years from now I will own a rifle I can't find ammo for.

Who is Tyler?

drybean
11-09-2017, 09:30 AM
Welcome aboard

big honkin jeep
11-09-2017, 11:39 AM
Future ammo availability is my only concern with the 25-06. Otherwise, I'd prefer it over the 6.5 Creedmoor. I am worried that ten years from now I will own a rifle I can't find ammo for.

Who is Tyler?

25-06 will be around forever. Just not in abundance and availability is sometimes limited to bigger specialty retailers like bass pro etc rather than the local gas n go. I have seen the same thing happen with lots of "new" whizbang cartridges over the decades and don't think the 6.5 creed will be immune from limited availability.
A bicycle riding local and barkeep/server in the Keys that stays out in the watering holes waaaay too late having fun. There are actually T shirts that say go home Tyler.

KW Gary M
11-09-2017, 11:41 PM
25-06 will be around forever. Just not in abundance and availability is sometimes limited to bigger specialty retailers like bass pro etc rather than the local gas n go. I have seen the same thing happen with lots of "new" whizbang cartridges over the decades and don't think the 6.5 creed will be immune from limited availability.
A bicycle riding local and barkeep/server in the Keys that stays out in the watering holes waaaay too late having fun. There are actually T shirts that say go home Tyler.

Very much leaning towards the 25-06. I have come to the conclusion that either the 25-06 or the 6.5 Creedmoor will work for what I want the rifle to do. It will be used for hunting Hogs and Deer and most likely never further than 200 yards. I have a 300 Win Mag for long distance hunting or bigger game. Both cartridges will easily take a Hog or Deer out past 200 yards if I do my part. I have also been getting into longer distance target shooting with hopes to be out at 1,000 yards. The 6.5 Creedmoor has more ft lbs of energy past 500 yards but the only thing I will be killing at 500 plus yards is paper targets and some unsuspecting steel. The 25-06 has less bullet drop at 500 yards. Plus the 25-06 is just more of a classic. Of course, this is today's opinion. I might change my mind by tomorrow. I am heading to Jamaica Saturday for a week and won't be buying the rifle until I get home. More than likely I will buy the caliber that turns me on more the day I buy it. Either will work for my intended purpose. I do like that the 6.5 Creedmoor will let me load more rounds with a pound of powder.

I have never heard of the Tyler bartender and I frequent most of the bars. I have lived here almost 30 years. I think it might be one of the tales they tell the tourists. There is a "Celebrity Bartender" named Tom who is a Biker but Harley not bicycle.

ragsflh
11-10-2017, 08:52 PM
howdy

penna shooter
11-11-2017, 07:06 AM
Sup'

big honkin jeep
11-12-2017, 04:18 PM
I know there are a lot of KW legends but this one fits more into that catagory than a tale for the tourists. LOL
Welcome aboard Gary :)

Hotolds442
01-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Welcome!