PDA

View Full Version : Bolt head spring washer

chet
09-12-2010, 09:12 AM
I was going to put the spring washer on the savage bolt head in the center, but noticed because of the radius on the bolt head the spring washer will not go up as far as it should, looks like the ID of the spring washer needs to be ground open a bit, am I on the right track.

Chet

hailstone
09-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Don't believe it should be put there. I surmise that its where its at because it has something too do with the floating head bolt design. Doing what your proposing will defeat this design feature if my understanding of the design is correct.

chet
09-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Well I figured if there was a little gap there, we would be able to get grease to the lugs better rather than wiping the grease from the area with secondary bolt head with the gap tight up against one another.

Chet

Blue Avenger
09-12-2010, 10:34 AM
both ideas are correct. just put it in and you will have no problems.

BillPa
09-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Well I figured if there was a little gap there, we would be able to get grease to the lugs better rather than wiping the grease from the area with secondary bolt head with the gap tight up against one another.

Chet

The only reason to locate it is to prevent the baffle wiping the grease off the lugs. Action function wise it makes zero difference where its at. If you relocate the washer the ID needs to be opened just enough to clear the fillet or remove the fillet. If you open the washer ID only go a little at a time. Open it too much it will slip down and hang up on the edge of the lug recess, makes it kinda hard opening the bolt. ;D

When I square up a bolthead I cut the junction square and leave the washer AS-IS.

Bill