PDA

View Full Version : savage 110 rebuild

clemens
09-12-2010, 02:16 AM
I am sure glad I found this web site. I be gathering information for rebuilding a savage 110 that I have on layaway. Its chamber in.300Wm at this time, planning on rebarreling in 7mm rem mag. 26" stainless fluted barrel from Mcgowen barrel. with muzzle brake from Holland, B&C duramaxx,or a Stockade that stock looked very nice also. this rifle will be used for hunting and long range shooting fun. So if any one has any suggestions feel free to let me know new to all this and need some insight from those who living in this addiction of powder and lead. Also geargrinder that is one sweet looking .338 edge. What savage model did you build that on? was told my sav 110 wasnt strong enough for the big .338 mags. like the edge or .338 allen. Any thoughts on those would be helpfull as well. Is the .338 edge hard to reload for (i.e-forming brass n all that goes with that round etc.. Hope this wasnt to long? have great day everyone

sinman
09-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Your action will handle the Edge as well as any other out there, I am the one that did the machine work on geargrinders 338 edge that you saw the pic of and I also have done a lot of other ones too. For your hunting rifle in 7mm mag if you are just using the flutes to reduce weight I would just go with a Std mag contour barrel and skip the flutes unless you wanted a really light weight gun.

clemens
09-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks Sinman for the reply. I have talked to a few gunsmiths about the fluting and begining to think its more for cosmetic appearence then anything else. Looking for a heavy contour for this build but not sure where to go with it. Here is quick run down of what I would like to do.
Want to leave receiver blued, Barrel- Stainless heavy contour. so far looking at 26" plus fluted, 1.250-full length but thinking that one real big. A 1.250-.940, 1.200-1.000. Hard to find barrel dimentions on barrel manuf websites when all you see is cartoon drawings of the dimentions, be nice to see them in color and from different views. Same with the savage replacement barrels I see advertised as well. The barrel on the .338 edge you did is what i am looking for in a nut shell. Want to have muzzle brake blued and removable with thread protector. Looking at the brake that Holland puts out. like the way it looks, more open and not just a round tube with holes drilled in it. Seen another one and cant think of the name, again the one on the .338edge pic is where Im going. new trigger possibly Timney or quality trigger, As for a stock wow that is just confusing. read alot of the post in this website and seems to me if one has a dremmel tool one can travel so to speak. Looked at a B&C medalist varmint tact stock or light tact, and no can do. Any suggestions there is most helpful. would like a oversize stainless bolt handle as well. Really like the looks of contrasting colors. As for the scope dont have a clue was looking at a Millet 4x16x50 mildot. High end glass out of reach right now but was hoping that this one was in the middle somewhere (maybe). again any suggestions from anyone would prefer one with front focal plain optics 1/4moa adj, but i figured need to step up the glass for that. So sinman you are a machinest and by what I seen in that pic you do outstanding work i must say. Have any suggestions or if you have website of your own work. looking for as much insight on this project as possible. The wife gave me a green light with a I dont care what you spend attituded but still trying to keep it reasonable (maybe) Have a great day everyone

geargrinder
09-12-2010, 09:23 PM
I've built two 338 Edges on small shank 110 actions. Sinman did them both, as well as any one I do in the future. He does do great work and is very good to deal with.

My fluted barrel is much heavier than it needed to be. I would have gotten a Savage Varmint contour without flutes if I hadn't come across the good deal on the one I got. It is a 32" fluted #7 contour.

My next one will be a 30"-32" Stainless Varmint with a Ross Schuler or Sin Arms muzzle brake. You need to go at least 28" for the Edge. Going shorter just brings you back to 338 RUM territory.

Since I'm a lefty, it's tougher for me to find stocks ready to go. So, I went with a Stockade Pdog since Kevin makes them made to order. I'd also consider one of the new Choate tacticals. The length of these barrels and range of the cartridge really works well with the A5 style stocks.

I wouldn't go cheap on your scope. I'm using a Bushnell 6500 4.5-30. I like it but am considering swapping it out for a Bushnell FFP or Vortex FFP.

As for trigger, I've had good luck with the 3 screw factory triggers and Rifle Basix SAV-2's. I haven't used a SSS but hear very good things. Skip the Timney's and anything else for Savages.

The Edge is very easy to load for. No fireforming needed. I use a set of 338 RUM dies to neck size and seat bullets. I use a 375 RUM die to full length size when needed.

338 Allen mag won't work. It's an necked down and improved version of the 408 Cheyenne Tactical. It needs a custom action way beefier than Savage builds so far.

You've got a great goal and are already talking to the right person to make it happen. Post up any other questions you have.

sinman
09-12-2010, 10:56 PM
My website is http://www.sin-arms.com and its out of date on pictures, look here for more info on stuff I offer http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/board,97.0.html . And I would go min 28" in a SS Savage Varmint contour and break of course. You defiantly wouldn't want a straight 1.25" barrel if you want to carry it, that thing would be a brute. Here is a pic of something you might be looking at build

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/sinarms/downsized_0727001142.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/sinarms/downsized_0727001142a.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/sinarms/downsized_0727001143.jpg

clemens
09-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks gentleman for your replys this has been most helpfull and yes the pic are right there where im looking looks like i can even keep the barrel nut thats a bonus. Thanks again will be back soon for more info.

6brm
09-18-2010, 03:54 PM
I have a Stockade Stock on my Savage 116 in the .243 caliber. The factory stock at that time left a lot to be desired.
I bought the lower-end unfinished Stockade Stock in the thumbhole model. I am 100% pleased with the performance 2 years later. Great people to deal with.
I have since bought a Savage Model 12BTCSS and Model 93BTVS. The factory stocks on these are great.
All my Savage's are seriously accurate. Wish I could dump a number of other guns such as the Encore Pro Hunter with (3ea) extra barrels. Different animal I know but I am disappointed in this gun. I could have gotten individual Savage's in these calibers.

clemens
09-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks geargrinder for info on Kirby Allen Have to check it out. Sinman thanks again for the pics you put up liked the barrel in the pic was curious as what the contour dimentions of the barrel is and is the muzzle brake your own design? If contour was little thicker then the one in pic how much thicker would it be? Also anyone have info about scope rails (picatinny etc..) with 20deg forward slope and which ones mount up the best to keep scope centered without binding? One last question Geargrinder you have .338edge how much does your rifle weigh? Whats the recoil like? and is it spendy to shoot? Ok sorry thats 3 questions.

geargrinder
09-18-2010, 10:35 PM
I use a 20moa EGW rail with my Bushnell 6500 4.5-30. I can zero at 100 yards and still adjust way out there. I've shot out to 1500 yards and still had a bit left. After that, I could use the mildots for holdovers.

I haven't weighed it, but I'm quite sure it weighs just under a crapload. ;D I'd guess it's about or just over 15 lbs.

With the barrel contour and the brake the recoil is very mild. It's a little hard to describe. The big magnums that I shoot are like a hard shove, the smaller rounds that I shoot like -06, 308, 22-250 have sharper kicks. They feel very different to me. I don't mind the shoves, but I don't like the sharp kicks or punches. I'd rather shoot 50 rounds out of my Edge than 10 rounds out of a sporter weight 308 or 30-06.

Spendy, well yes, a bit. I'd guess about $1 a pull of the trigger. Most of that is the 300g SMK. Brass is about $1 each as well, but re-usable. It goes through powder pretty quick too.

clemens
09-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Just under a crapload. I was wondering It looked heavy, but a necessary evil pushing that much lead that fast. Thanks for the info is barrel 32in long without Muzzle brake or with?

geargrinder
09-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Without. The whole thing is just over 54" with the stock. It fits nice in the 62" drag bag made for 50BMG's.

sinman
09-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Sorry I missed this post, You can get any contour you want, that was a varmint contour. and the Muzzle break is a Holland style break, nothing original but it works. here is a group fired from a 338 edge barrel I just completed

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/sinarms/emmc_0919100910.jpg