PDA

View Full Version : axis rifle ???

noname
11-03-2017, 06:39 PM
Is the Axis a good rifle to build off from? Are there different stocks available to replace the factory one's etc..

I want to get a 243 and then rebarrel and restock for a bench rifle..Appreciate any and all advice or

suggestions...How is the factory trigger? Also I have heard it is the same as the old Stevens rifle...????

beefsupreme
11-03-2017, 07:26 PM
I love my axis 2 in .223 HB... see my pictures and groups in my other posts. As far as building off goes, I honestly don't know... I've heard other rifles are customizable. I was looking for my first centerfire rifle that could consistently hit at distance for target shooting and probably coyotes later as well as looking for a decent deal... this fit the bill for me. YMMV.

Robinhood
11-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Shop around. compare prices for your build. Axis or M10/110. Remington or Howa 1500. You cant go wrong

sharpshooter
11-03-2017, 09:14 PM
I've built several bench rest rifles on Axis actions. They're cheap, stiff and have less parts to fool with.

DrThunder88
11-04-2017, 05:46 AM
I love building Axises. With its stock-mounted recoil lug, the Axis is even easier than a 110 to build at home. I've put together several long range Axises, and they hold their own against 700s and 110s costing hundreds of dollars more. However it's my understanding that benchrest is a very equipment-intensive game, and costly accuracy enhancements that could be ignored in other disciplines are needed when the difference between winning and losing is measured in hundredths of an inch. Out of the box, the Axis has some characteristics that might not be conducive to benchrest shooting. Having said that, if you're willing to put some additional money into it and invest your own time into learning the game, it's probably a decent choice. Depending on how competitive your area is and how small you want your groups, an accurized Axis might be all you need.

Fred (sharpshooter) knows better than any of us about maximizing the accuracy of Axises. He also makes some really sweet looking laminate stocks for the Axis. Almost all of my builds have used Boyds laminate stocks, but some recent changes at Boyds has made me reconsider. There are also a few chassis out there for the Axis.

Robinhood
11-04-2017, 11:00 AM
I missed part of your question. The Axis and the Stevens are not the same rifle. The Stevens and the model 10/110 are the same animal.

Are we talking Bench Shooting or Bench Rest competition?

As for either one being a great benchrest rifle two things need to be addressed.

One, the bolt lift and closing force needs to be addressed. The force it takes to open and close a factory Axis or 10 action is normally too great and will upset the rifle every time it is cocked/closed requiring some readjustment for each shot. There are several reasons this is not good and the proper stock and rest may help eliminate that. That can be fixed. Sharpshooter is currently the only smith I know that modifies the bolt body and the action the correct way to fix this. Therefore his timing job is high on the list of modifications needed.

Two, the trigger, there are no true benchrest triggers that I am aware of. Buying an aftermarket or working with the stock one much can be done. Is it enough to avoid influencing the shot when pulled? I will let the guys with more experience than I chime in.

sharpshooter
11-05-2017, 01:10 AM
I can get the accutriggers down to 8 oz.