PDA

View Full Version : Solving Savage 16

richdeerht
11-03-2017, 01:24 PM
I own/have owned 4 savage rifles and they've all been good shooters. A couple weeks ago, I bought a used model 16 in 300 WSM at a gun show. Gun looked to be in great condition, and came with nickel Leupold rings and bases. (front rotating dovetail, rear windage screws) I even got 3 boxes of Federal factory ammo. Great price! What's not to like?

I put a known-good 3-9 scope on it and headed to the range. Gun shot patterns, rather than groups. Made sure barrel was fully floated, cleaned all copper out of bore, made sure all the screws were tight, Accu-trigger set at 3 lb. Still getting patterns, 5-6".

Started to take things apart. Removed a windage screw, rotated scope off the rifle. When I went to swing it back on, the rear base was about 1/64"or so too high. Scope strain! I decided to shim up the front base to reduce the strain. When I removed the front base, I found 2 different diameter screws! I'm pretty sure Savage did not build it that way. I guess the previous owner had stripped a thread in one base hole the receiver, and had it repaired by tapping the hole to a larger size thread. I tried a .015" shim under the front base, but it was really not enough. Still shot patterns. Swinging the scope on still showed more shim needed. I was leary of going much thicker on the shim because of the known screw hole condition in the front base. Solution? I ordered a set of Burris Signature rings, with the rotating plastic inserts.

Once I got the new rings installed correctly and put some blue Loctite on the windage screws, I headed back to the range today, with the bore thoroughly cleaned again. Checked zero, let rifle cool, shot a 3-shot group the Federal Premium 180 gr nosler partitions. Group measured 3/4" center-to-center.

This rifle is now a keeper, although now I know why I got it so cheap.

6.5savageguy
11-03-2017, 06:12 PM
Glad that worked out for you.

Robinhood
11-03-2017, 06:36 PM
I would change the base and the rings or at least lay things on something flat to see whats up. You could have a twisted action from a bozo visit.

richdeerht
11-03-2017, 08:32 PM
I did change the rings, and it solved the problem.

Pajasonc
11-04-2017, 02:08 PM
I did change the rings, and it solved the problem.
I have the same model. Its the most accurate gun I have ever owned. Mine really likes the cheap federal 180 grain soft points .75" groups(3 rounds) and the federal trophy bonded tips in 165. It didn't shoot the winchester 180 power max as well but is still a 1.5" inch gun with those. I was really surprised how well it shoots.