PDA

View Full Version : New Stocks

thunderchief
09-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Finally Stocky's has them. They are for the 4.40 Centerfeed. They were out for the 700 originally, and I have been inquiring occasionally to see if they would be coming out for the Savage's. Here they are: http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-502/*NEW%21*-Bobby-Hart-Long/Detail (http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-502/*NEW%21*-Bobby-Hart-Long/Detail)

Once they come in the "Birch" color, I will order mine...

vermonter
09-12-2010, 07:30 AM
And of course they don't come in left hand. :( :( :( I don't understand why every savage stock can't be offered in left hand. Is it that hard to put a bolt handle slot on the left side and leave the right side alone??

thunderchief
09-18-2010, 01:37 PM
I got a buddy of mine that has the left hand stock issue also. I feel for you.

The stock finally showed up in the birch color. Placed my order. I was in between that and the coffee since my last post. The coffee was in stock the whole time. Went to the site to order the coffee, saw the birch- easy decision. I will let ya'll know once it arrives and give some kind of feedback as to the fit, finish, quality, etc.

MikeCTX
09-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Please let us know when you get it in, very interested in this post. Have a model 11 build that could use a new stock.
Thanks

thunderchief
09-23-2010, 06:11 PM
As posted before, ordered the stock on 9/18/2010. Got confirmation that the order was processed and shipped on 9/20/2010 to arrive at my door on 9/27/2010. Guess what? It showed up today, 9/23! I felt like a kid on Christmas morning.

Opened up the box, took out the very well padded and packaged stock, and looked it over. Smooth finish from top to bottom, front to rear. There are no voids or other imperfections in the finish. The inletting is very clean and has all the necessary cutouts for the centerfeed magazine. The action screw holes are oversized, I assume to allow the use of factory steel "pillars". I ordered a Stockys Tundra stock a few months backs and it had this "pillar" installed already. Had to take it out because I custom machine my own pillars, so this one is well suited for me. The swivel studs are also cleanly installed. The Pachmayar Decelerator pad is nicely fitted to the stock as well. The overall feel of the stock is nice. It is lighter than I expected, I have a couple laminates that are heavy, and seems well balanced. It has a generous palm swell and is fully ambidextrous, aside from the bolt knob cutout. It has a nice 2 1/4 wide forearm but is a little more round bottomed than I expected. I guess a good design for riding the bags, prone, offhand; pretty much all shooting positions.

Very impressed with the stock for the price. It is a fantastic value, especially for a drop in.

Modifications to follow:
- Take out front two studs and install short accessory rail. (I am used to them, hard to live without them).
- Machine and install pillars
- Bed action and triggerguard opening.
- Open up recoil lug hole to accomodate custom recoil lug. Use the Tubb lugs.

Putting a Lothar Walther 243 28" 1 in 8 barrel on the short action. Sharpshooter Supply Tactical Bolt Knob. Don't know whether I will Duracoat the action gray or black yet. Ken Farrell MOA lugged base, Burris Extreme rings, Vortex Viper 6.5-20 Target Dot (Thanks Camerland!), and that should be it.

Hopefully it will balance out nicely.

I will post pics later. Stay tuned...

glockeyed
09-23-2010, 09:30 PM
this is F-in awesome! i really want cobalt blue. but i have always drooled over those stocks.

glockeyed
09-30-2010, 07:01 PM
well i kept checking the site to see if they have the cobalt blue one in stock. I finally emailed them asking when they would be available. I quickly get.

They should be coming in very soon. I recommend putting a backorder in for them because they are selling very very fast. The blue would probably be the fastest.

Thank You

so i placed an order last night, and get an email this afternoon saying it shipped!! :o

thunderchief
09-30-2010, 08:16 PM
They work fast! I think you will definitely like the stock. Let us know how the gloss finish is.

I had to open up the barrel channel just a smidge to free float the 28" varmint taper barrel. I got the pillars devcon'ed last night, had a bit of an issue trying to get full contact on the pillar and use the tab for the centerfeed action. It worked, now I just have to bed around it, trying to figure that one out still. I will probably tackle the inletting for the target rail tonight as well. Maybe tomorrow. Have to duracoat the receiver and install the trigger too. Got a lot of work but the hardest part is done...

frank1947
10-03-2010, 04:40 PM
going to order tomorrow i see they also have the pillars that are cut out for savage i like coffee or crimson red like cobalt going to be hard dicission on color

frank1947
10-03-2010, 04:49 PM
one more thing being a person who has done alot of woodworking and knowing how much wood contracts and expands , would it be better just to pillar bed it, I would think any compound you would apply to wood is not going to secure the wood and possible something could crack, just a thought , any experience with bedding wood would help.

thunderchief
10-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Got everything media blasted and Duracoated. Had to grind and thread the factory knob and install the new knob- took longer than I had hoped. Got the accessory rail inletted about 98% right now. The stock is prepped for bedding but I have to get the action back together first. Slowly but surely...

frank1947
10-04-2010, 03:35 PM
I ordered about a hour ago got the crimson color and the pillars, he said it will ship tomorrow found this on pillar bedding http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3-nmO-SGA8&feature=related

glockeyed
10-04-2010, 10:29 PM
guess what was at my door! didn't realize they are in FL too.

man when they say high luster they mean it! Ill have pics after tomorrow night. i have a little more fitting to be done.
little bit of barrel channel sanding
i had to make a new escutcheon
i need to shorten my front action screw a little more.