PDA

View Full Version : Scope Mount Question

bigdogg2278
11-02-2017, 10:36 AM
One other question I picked up the Axis II package so it comes with the scope rail etc with it already, i picked up a Vortex Crossfire 30MM scope so its a little more of a pain to find rings since everything seems to be 1" rings. My question is will any 30MM ring that fits on a Picatinny rail work or should i get a new rail also?

LoneWolf
11-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Any quality rings will work as long as they are the correct height to ensure the objective does not bottom out on the barrel. Should be too much of a problem with the components described though.

DrThunder88
11-02-2017, 03:15 PM
30mm rings are pretty common in their own right these days. It shouldn't be too hard to find a set for your scope unless your only option is what's on the shelf at Billy-Bob's Bait and Tackle.

The difference between Weaver and Picatinny rails is subtle but not too difficult to understand. A Weaver ring will fit on both a Weaver and Picatinny rail. Most rings that are sold as Picatinny are actually Weaver, the only difference being Picatinny rings are allowed a wider, deeper recoil lug. The times you'll run into problems are: first, when trying to use a Picatinny ring with a larger recoil lug on a Weaver rail with narrower slots; and second, when using a Picatinny mount that has more than one lug or crossbolt.

One other thing to consider is bolt handle clearance around the eyepiece. Axises seem to have a bigger problem with interference between the bolt handle and eyepiece than other bolt guns.