PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10T 6.5 Creedmoor shoots to the right

Old Swede
11-01-2017, 05:22 PM
I have a Savage 10T 6.5 Creedmoor with a vortex 6x24x50 30mm mildot scope and vortex rings I finally got to shoot last Saturday and it shot to the right by approximately 14"
I was able to move the crosshair far enough to get on center but it took a lot of my windage adjustment.
I tried a couple different brands of bullets in the same weight they shot almost exactly the same spot.
Have anyone had this problem do you think the factory weaver style base was drilled off center from one end to the other.
I only hope the barrel is not attached crooked.
Let me know what you think.
Old Swede

BTW one 3 shot group at 100 yards was less that .5" using Hornady American gunner 140gr BTHP
& two groups were less that .5" using Hornady 143 ELD-X with 40.5 grains of RL17

Vinton
11-01-2017, 05:49 PM
I have a Savage 10T 6.5 Creedmoor with a vortex 6x24x50 30mm mildot scope and vortex rings I finally got to shoot last Saturday and it shot to the right by approximately 14"
I was able to move the crosshair far enough to get on center but it took a lot of my windage adjustment.
I tried a couple different brands of bullets in the same weight they shot almost exactly the same spot.
Have anyone had this problem do you think the factory weaver style base was drilled off center from one end to the other.
I only hope the barrel is not attached crooked.
Let me know what you think.
Old Swede

BTW one 3 shot group at 100 yards was less that .5" using Hornady American gunner 140gr BTHP
& two groups were less that .5" using Hornady 143 ELD-X with 40.5 grains of RL17
I have no solution but the same problem with my 16 Savage in 308

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

noname
11-01-2017, 05:54 PM
try changing the base..bases do get drilled off center..did you measure the hole from the edge? worth checking..

tufrthnails
11-01-2017, 06:39 PM
try changing the base..bases do get drilled off center..did you measure the hole from the edge? worth checking..
This ^^^^

The factory base on my 10fcp was drilled off center. Changed base and rings and is great now.

noname
11-01-2017, 06:50 PM

Also it's possible a bad crown....

ronb
11-01-2017, 07:55 PM
I have also changed rings front to back and seen an improvement.

gbflyer
11-01-2017, 10:11 PM
If it shoot that good I wouldn't change a thing.

Savagehoosier
11-02-2017, 07:29 AM
If all else fails try Bushnell Signature ZEE rings with graduated +/- MOA inserts. Allows for adjustment inside the rings to compensate for unknown adverse issues as your having. They also self align so no need for lapping scope rings as well as protecting your scopes from dings from improper install. I use them on all my rifle scopes.

bsekf
11-02-2017, 09:37 AM
BURRIS Signature Zee Rings with the eccentric inserts. Savage is notorious for not drilling the mount holes in a straight line. I use Burris Signature exclusively, move scope adjustment to the center and adjust the inserts AND they leave no ring marks. Do a Youtube search to see how to adjust them.

Bill

Robinhood
11-02-2017, 07:54 PM
What have you tried? Make sure that the rings are clear of the radius's near the objective and ocular pieces. An 1/8 away is a good minimum distance. Not knowing your experience level....You did not mention the maker and style of rings, Try some rings that are of higher quality. You said you had a vortex, you mentioned magnification, you did not mention the model. Much more important. If it is a cheaper model try a better scope. I would not change rings or bases unless I found it to be the problem. Rotate them move them front to rear and vice versa. Prove the issue. Turn the base backwards if it is a zero mount. Prove it!

Old Swede
11-03-2017, 09:06 AM
The 50mm front of the scope clears the barrel by 1/2".
My scope is a Vortex HST 6x24x50 30mm rings it cost $640.00 so I don't think it is the scope. The rings are Vortex 30mm High they cost $65.00 but they may be the cause not sure. I still need to take the base off and check if it is drilled parallel with the sides or off from one end to the other. If all looks good then I am planning on switching to Leupold base with rings so I can have a windage adjustment. Cant work on it till Saturday will let all know if and when I come up with a solution.

Old Swede

taylorce1
11-03-2017, 09:43 AM
If all else fails try Bushnell Signature ZEE rings with graduated +/- MOA inserts. Allows for adjustment inside the rings to compensate for unknown adverse issues as your having. They also self align so no need for lapping scope rings as well as protecting your scopes from dings from improper install. I use them on all my rifle scopes.

This is what I'd do.

Old Swede
11-07-2017, 10:47 AM
The first thing I checked out was if the scope was centered since 14.5" to be moved from the right to center seemed like a lot I figured out how much adjustment from center to left I should have by what Vortex claims.
Then I counted the clicks (MOA) to the left that I could move the crosshairs. The amount I had to move the scope crosshairs and the number of clicks (MOA) to the left didn't add up.
If I the scope had been centered I would have only needed to move the scope to the left 5" not 14.5" I checked out the base, rings, everything seems to be OK.
It appears that the crosshairs were not centered (the same number of MOA from the left to the right) from the factory.
The crosshair's are in the center now and I will have to go back to the range, shoot and adjust.

I usually adjust the cross hair's to be optically centered when I get a new scope I just figured it would have been done at the factory boy was I WRONG.

Deadshot2
11-07-2017, 06:54 PM
I just figured it would have been done at the factory boy was I WRONG.

A very faulty assumption. If you managed to get a box that was "factory fresh" you MIGHT get a scope that's optically centered. If it's passed through any other hands (especially a Dealers) you can almost bet those knobs have been played with.

I just use a mirror and center up the adjustments in less than a minute. Dial the parallax setting to minimum, put objective against a mirror in a well lit room, then just adjust windage and elevation until the two crosshairs you see merge. No need to "spin test" or any other time consuming method.

If you install a new scope and have to make big changes when bore-sighting you can pretty much bet that the mount holes aren't drilled properly. One cure is to have a gunsmith re-drill and upsize the screws to 8-40 from 6-48. Also the Signature "Tactical" rings (much heavier than standard) will help. Personally I prefer to NOT use band-aid's so I re-Drill.