PDA

View Full Version : Poor accuracy w trophy hunter 111 xp

Thunder43
11-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Hey all,

Can’t get better than 1.5 or 2 in groups off bags w new TH. I can sometimes get a couple sub MOA and then things open up.
What I’ve done:
-put a leupold vx3i 2-7 on a DNZ Mount.
- disassembled stock and reassembled and torqued screws
- tried 165 and 180 corelokt.
-let barrel cool
- ensures bags are over lug.

any help?feel like I should be getting better results.

LoneWolf
11-01-2017, 11:19 AM
Don't expect great groups from factory hunting ammo.... Especially Corelokt. It's loaded to Minute of Deer and will get the job done if that's your requirement. If you want to see the rifles potential match ammo and match projectiles will typically always yield better results.

Now beyond that, you need to ensure that the barrel is remaining free floated when shooting. Make sure the stock is not compressing into the barrel etc. That's the typical problem with Savage factory stocks. There could be other issues, but I would start there....

Robinhood
11-01-2017, 12:03 PM
- ensures bags are over lug.

If you are putting your front bag at the "Recoil Lug" this may be a problem. You should have it near the sling stud. I am assuming this is a 30-06 since it is a 111. Are you recoil sensitive? Use your phone to video yourself. Look for flinching, jerking or closing your eyes.

Thunder43
11-01-2017, 12:51 PM
30-06. Never had issues w recoil. But video idea is good to rule out.
Thought moving bag up the forearm would increase risk of stock / barrel contact.

LoneWolf
11-01-2017, 02:03 PM
Getting front and rear support is best, but you may be limited by the factory stock.

foxx
11-01-2017, 03:55 PM
Personally, I like bags under the recoil lug, extending under the forearm a bit with factory stocks. I also put a squeeze bag under the butt (A tube-sock filled with buck wheat hulls).

Robinhood
11-01-2017, 04:08 PM
30-06. Never had issues w recoil. But video idea is good to rule out.
Thought moving bag up the forearm would increase risk of stock / barrel contact.

For me I like the radius to be longer. A front bag acts as a pivot point. If your grip or pull influences the stock at trigger pull, the shorter radius with magnify the movement. Try some Hornady White tail or Federal ammo. Some have good luck with fusion too.

RustyShackle
11-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Don't expect great groups from factory hunting ammo.... Especially Corelokt. It's loaded to Minute of Deer and will get the job done if that's your requirement. If you want to see the rifles potential match ammo and ...

Corelokt ammo in my opinion is actually very decent hunting munitions. I’ve had great results with corelokt compared to the other hunting ammo in its same class.

If you have access to a lead sled or similar you could use that to eliminate any shooter error. Otherwise it’s always possible that you got one that just isn’t a ‘shooter’. Probably not what you want to hear, but it happens. If you shoot some gold medal match ammo and can’t get it to shoot worth a darn send it back to savage.

Edit: on another note you won’t catch me using ‘fusion’ ammo unless it’s my absolute only to shoot. I bought a box some years back right when it first hit the market. I had dismal results(although decent groupings within the dismal results). Curious I bought a second box and ran it through a chrono. I don’t recall exactly what the spread was on velocity but it was substantial. Maybe they have ironed out the kinks now but I’ll shoot something else.

Thunder43
11-02-2017, 06:48 AM
Corelokt ammo in my opinion is actually very decent hunting munitions. I’ve had great results with corelokt compared to the other hunting ammo in its same class.

If you have access to a lead sled or similar you could use that to eliminate any shooter error. Otherwise it’s always possible that you got one that just isn’t a ‘shooter’. Probably not what you want to hear, but it happens. If you shoot some gold medal match ammo and can’t get it to shoot worth a darn send it back to savage.

Edit: on another note you won’t catch me using ‘fusion’ ammo unless it’s my absolute only to shoot. I bought a box some years back right when it first hit the market. I had dismal results(although decent groupings within the dismal results). Curious I bought a second box and ran it through a chrono. I don’t recall exactly what the spread was on velocity but it was substantial. Maybe they have ironed out the kinks now but I’ll shoot something else.

I’d have to agree w/ your assessment on Corelokt. I’ve tried numerous premium loads in the past and always had decent luck with Corelokts. Fusion has done well in my Benelli R1 in 300WSM, which is notoriously picky (auto loader). HOwever, I’ve not yet hunted with Fusion.

Thunder43
11-02-2017, 06:53 AM
So I pulled the stock off again and shaved some material off the stock near the end of the barrel channel as it was fairly tight. Question- what do y’all recommend for torquing down the three screws - 2 action screws and the wood screw that holds the rear trigger guard on?
I’ve seen all types of recommendations on the interwebs. I am using 40” on front action screw, 40” on rear action screw (on front of trigger guard), and 15” on tang screw.

Thunder43
11-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Got .5 inch now using 165 corelokt in 30-06. Much better!
Pushed front bag up, shaved stock, and torqued action screws.