PDA

View Full Version : 111 standard shank 300 rum

huntfisheat
11-01-2017, 01:51 AM
i got a oct 99 dated 111 savage crf. looks like the fo wood grain blind mag stock don't have the money now but can u do full loads in it with the standard shank.i know it not a good idea to make them 338 lp because .0040 bigger case what do u guy make them and how strong. right now im just trying to get brass but tight on cash. midway has the barnes vortx for 54 bucks for 20 not much more then the brass.i know rem owns barnes do they use rem brass or cinch they own norma now is it there brass just hard getting ammo here in ny cant ship it.

huntfisheat
11-02-2017, 01:29 AM
bump.

RustyShackle
11-02-2017, 02:42 AM
Not 100% sure what information you’re asking about? I think you’re curious if you can run standard factory 300 rum in the weapon? Or are you handloading and wanting to get 338LP performance from a 300 rum? If you’re handloading I would suggest that you stick with known loads and work your way starting with a minimum load. If you simply want the performance of a 338LP, buy it, don’t try to push the envelope of one cartridge to the performance of another. My 0.02c

huntfisheat
11-02-2017, 03:31 AM
not trying to hot rod it some ammo is just 2 bucks more then 20 cases by there self . i reload but short on cash now some ammo seams the way to go right now. maybe one day id like to make it a 338 edge but not shore about the standerd shank barrel.

huntfisheat
11-02-2017, 03:59 PM
bump

big honkin jeep
11-02-2017, 05:33 PM
If I remember right the RUMs were large shank. I never had any pressure problems following published load data and working up from the start load. I hand loaded quite a few of the Remington cases from ammo I fired. Quite a few of the cases I hand loaded were from managed recoil Remington ammo that I found for about $33 a box. A lot cheaper than the premium stuff and not much more than factory fresh brass but I'm not sure if they even make it any longer. I did have to take apart and hog out my hand priming tool with a file so that those fat cases would fit for priming.
The edge conversion is simple enough since a barrel swap is all that's needed.

I do know if your handle is "hunt fish eat" you're not gonna want to shoot a whitetailed deer with it unless you like drinking your deer through a straw or turning them into chum. There really and truly isn't a lot left to eat. The shock is incredible and turns meat into purple mush throughout the animal, not just where it's hit. I had always heard that there was no such thing as too dead. I believed this until I shot a deer with a .300RUM and 180gr sirocco bonded factory load. Then I saw what too dead looked like. Mine has been sitting in the back of my safe for close to a decade or more. You never know when a pesky garden rhinoceros is going to show up.

Another word of caution about extended range sessions shooting the .300RUM I went to the range one day and fired a few of boxes of ammo. Mine had the factory brake and I was using a Beartooth recoil pad with all the foam spacers in it. It didn't bruise me or hurt to shoot it at all. The next day my chest was hurting and my wife insisted that I go to the doctor. I didn't even think about the previous days range session. He ran quite a battery of $$$ tests on me and after x rays told me that I had separated my ribs from my sternum. That's when the light went on and I realized that it was the repeated recoil from the RUM that caused it. Not a whole lot the doc can do about it. Yep I wont make that mistake again. Not with full power loads anyway. It took quite a while for my chest to heal up.

Good luck and enjoy your rifle, there has to be a practical purpose for it somewhere.

huntfisheat
11-03-2017, 12:15 AM
If I remember right the RUMs were large shank. I never had any pressure problems following published load data and working up from the start load. I hand loaded quite a few of the Remington cases from ammo I fired. Quite a few of the cases I hand loaded were from managed recoil Remington ammo that I found for about $33 a box. A lot cheaper than the premium stuff and not much more than factory fresh brass but I'm not sure if they even make it any longer. I did have to take apart and hog out my hand priming tool with a file so that those fat cases would fit for priming.
The edge conversion is simple enough since a barrel swap is all that's needed.

I do know if your handle is "hunt fish eat" you're not gonna want to shoot a whitetailed deer with it unless you like drinking your deer through a straw or turning them into chum. There really and truly isn't a lot left to eat. The shock is incredible and turns meat into purple mush throughout the animal, not just where it's hit. I had always heard that there was no such thing as too dead. I believed this until I shot a deer with a .300RUM and 180gr sirocco bonded factory load. Then I saw what too dead looked like. Mine has been sitting in the back of my safe for close to a decade or more. You never know when a pesky garden rhinoceros is going to show up.

Another word of caution about extended range sessions shooting the .300RUM I went to the range one day and fired a few of boxes of ammo. Mine had the factory brake and I was using a Beartooth recoil pad with all the foam spacers in it. It didn't bruise me or hurt to shoot it at all. The next day my chest was hurting and my wife insisted that I go to the doctor. I didn't even think about the previous days range session. He ran quite a battery of $$$ tests on me and after x rays told me that I had separated my ribs from my sternum. That's when the light went on and I realized that it was the repeated recoil from the RUM that caused it. Not a whole lot the doc can do about it. Yep I wont make that mistake again. Not with full power loads anyway. It took quite a while for my chest to heal up.

Good luck and enjoy your rifle, there has to be a practical purpose for it somewhere. thanks for the reply it is a normal shank gun very few made i know it was the first one sold in orange county ny in 99 my dad was the sales man at bobs gun exchange. dad said the buyer cam back the next week about the kick dad sent it out to get magnaported end of the season dad got it from the owner then sold it to my brother and sate in his safe for 15 years i got it cheap. i have seen deer killed with them and know the damage. i call it the ginny gun named after the city hunter we used to get years ago. like to maybe pop a deer out past 600 with it once for fun i got 4 doe tags ;) sorry here about your rib i craked my coler bone when i was young from a 600 nitro express. thanks troy.