PDA

View Full Version : .223 Rem. Saami spec.

gotcha
09-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Have looked high & low can't seem to find S.A.A.M.I. Chamber reamer spec.'s for .223 Rem. Need dimension @ web of case and neck if possible. Again, need reamer spec's not cartridge spec's. Thanks in advance, Dale

tiny68
09-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Contact Dave Kiff (sp?) at PT&G. Ask to have reamer print sent to you. They will have it to you in a matter of minutes. I have gotten several from them. At one time Midway had reamer prints linked to the tech info for there reamers. I think that SAMMI still is a window. You can get a SAMMI minimum, which some think of as a match chamber. Or closer to SAMMI max, which probably best represents our factory stuff. At least that what my gunsmith told me. Maybe smoke..... ? Hope that helps, Tim

BillPa
09-12-2010, 02:19 AM
Have looked high & low can't seem to find S.A.A.M.I. Chamber reamer spec.'s for .223 Rem. Need dimension @ web of case and neck if possible. Again, need reamer spec's not cartridge spec's. Thanks in advance, Dale

This the SAAMI prints for both the cartridge and chamber, bottom print is the chamber.... If its too small to read use "ctrl +" to enlarge it.
http://i43.tinypic.com/96gsw3.jpg

Bill

gotcha
09-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Tiny68, thanks for the input!----------- billpa, thank you also. Especially the nice diagram. It's just what I've been looking for. ;D Now, more input needed. My neck sized only, twice fired brass measures .383" just above the web and .256"@ the neck. The chamber neck would appear to be in "spec" IE: .255" Minus "o" + .002" if I understand the chamber tolerances correctly. However, the stated chamber web dimension is .3769" Minus"0" + .002". This would make my chamber @ web dia. about .006" oversized. (.383" minus .3769" saami minimum dia. = .0061" This doesn't include the brass "spring back" of .001" or so after firing. Do I understand this right? ??? All help appreciated. Thanx, Dale

bigedp51
09-12-2010, 04:22 PM
It would appear that .223 chamber reamers come in different flavours other than SAAMI..............

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/223reamers.jpg

gotcha
09-12-2010, 09:41 PM
bigedp51, Thanks for the info. Lots of interesting comparisons in your data. It appears my chamber is over sized even compared to nato specs. The barrel will be returned to mfg. You & billpa gave me the "ammo" to plead my case. (pardon the pun) My brass has a pretty nasty bulge @ the web which points to the possibility of premature head separation. This is Rem. brass rather than the nato variety. F.Y.I. my unfired Lapua brass measures .273"/ .272" @ base and would surely get a work-out in this chamber. Thanks again, to all for the help. It's just what I needed. Further input/ suggestions welcome. Dale