PDA

View Full Version : Savage centerfeed magazine box side movement

HankC
10-27-2017, 09:30 PM
Is it normal for centerfeed magazine box moves side to side a bit when loading? This is my 3rd Savage but first centerfeed, have/had stagger feed. It is a 12FV in 223. I like stagger feed much better! Centerfeed feed lips are stiff, hard to push rounds down into mag, the side movement actually helps a bit but I hope it is designed this way, not something broke! Won't feed single round by dropping a round either! Will the feed lips loosen up with use and easier to load?

foxx
10-28-2017, 12:00 AM
No, the mag should not move like that. Remove stock and see if the mag pops loose. I bet it does, though it shouldn't. There is a metal "L" bracket wedged between the back of the mag box and rear of the mag well in the stock that should be holding it in place. I have never known one to come loose if not removed intentianally first, but it may have. If it were mine, i would refasten it with a dab of epoxy and open the lips a bit if loading is tough. As for single loading, i have never had a problem with centerfeed. I just slip in the cartridge on top of mag and flip it forward into the chamber before closing bolt. Maybe its easier for me because i shoot right hand bolts left handed.

celltech
10-28-2017, 06:49 AM
I hate the centerfeed mags and the whole L bracket wedging system. My 12FV in .233 is pretty stiff to load up. I second the action of securing them with some epoxy putty, but *only* in the corners. If you get it anywhere near the sides it will keep the lips from spreading even the tiny amount they need to go...

HankC
10-28-2017, 10:09 AM
There is a metal "L" bracket wedged between the back of the mag box and rear of the mag well in the stock that should be holding it in place.
I removed the stock to check, the mag is locked in place with the "L" bracket wedged in the back of mag. The whole mag box rocks/rolls side to side a bit with the "L" bracket in place. I like to remove the mag box to check if anything wrong, how to do it? I push the back of the mag box on the top rear flange look like a hook thinking there may be a lock, but it does not "unlock" the box. I didn't want to push it too hard and cause damage. It is a brand new rifle just received from recent Cabela deal.
The synthetic stock has a channel from the forearm tip to the barrel lug area, makes it easy to bed a fiberglass rod to stiffen up the stock! The stock is pillar bedded as advertised!
I sanded the feed lips a bit with sand paper wrapped around a spent case, now it is easier to push a round down. I bet my thumb still sore after loading 20 or so rounds!

EDIT: I found info on removing mag box. Looks like it can roll a bit relative to the L clip. I will leave it alone.
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?269-How-To-Remove-Your-Blind-Mag-Body-and-Follower-(SF-and-CF)