PDA

View Full Version : feeding a Savage 116 7mm 180 ELD-M

AKSavage
10-27-2017, 07:31 PM
My next project is to rebarrel my Savage 116 Weather Warrior 7RemMag to a 1-8" twist and try to optimize it for shooting the new 7mm 180 ELD-M bullets. I intend to order a reamer that will be throated long, so I got some boxes of the 180 ELD-Ms today and began measuring. I'd like to seat my bullets out as far as possible to maximize powder volume and keep the bullets in the neck of the case. Initial measurements show that doing so would result in a overall base to bullet tip length around 3.65-3.67", but the factory 7RM magazine box has a max length of right about 3.5". The magazine is a factory magnum center-feed magazine.

Pushing the bullet into the case enough to get a COAL under 3.5" puts a significant amount of the 180ELD-M into the case. I realize that I may have to live with that, and probably can, but I wonder if any of you guys have found a work-around. For example, is the factory Savage magazine box of a RUM cartridge longer? If so, will it fit the same action? I realize that Savage RUMs are built on a large shank action but that shouldn't affect the magazine box. The feed lips and follower would probably need to be changed/modified to compensate for the smaller diameter 7RM cases, but it looks to me like the feed cut-out in the standard Savage long action is long enough to for a 3.65" cartridge to pass through it.

Failing that, maybe some aftermarket options? I know you can get Remington 700s fitted with a Wyatts extended magazine. Anything similar to that for Savage?

Thanks in advance for your help! I've been building short action Savages for a while now and this forum has always been a great source for experienced feedback.

Esninak
10-27-2017, 09:03 PM
You can switch to bottom metal with detachable mag and run lengths up to 3.750", most are drop in for the accustock, and require a top style bolt release.

Esninak
10-27-2017, 09:05 PM
http://store.accurate-mag.com/savagelongactionbottommetalkit.aspx

heres a link to one of many options.

AKSavage
10-28-2017, 05:09 PM
You can switch to bottom metal with detachable mag and run lengths up to 3.750", most are drop in for the accustock, and require a top style bolt release.

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately mine is a bottom bolt release. 3.75" would be perfect, with a bit of wiggle room.

Does anyone know of an option that works with the bottom bolt release style?

Esninak
10-28-2017, 06:15 PM
http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/savage-bottom-metal/9138-la-savage-stealth-dbm.html

It looks like this one will work, might give them a call to double check.

AKSavage
10-29-2017, 07:06 PM
http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/savage-bottom-metal/9138-la-savage-stealth-dbm.html

It looks like this one will work, might give them a call to double check.

Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow and report back. I need to talk to them about a reamer anyway. Maybe if it works out I'll be able to order the reamer and bottom metal at the same time.

AKSavage
11-03-2017, 11:51 AM
Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow and report back. I need to talk to them about a reamer anyway. Maybe if it works out I'll be able to order the reamer and bottom metal at the same time.

The reply came back from Pacific Tool and Guage: Yep, the suggested bottom metal will do the trick. The option to go with for those rifles with the bottom (trigger guard) bolt release is the one "with bolt release". Looks like you can order with a choice of no magazine, Accurage Mag, or Accuracy International magazine.

Thanks for your help locating this! Hope this thread helps others too.