PDA

View Full Version : Axis II .223 HB

beefsupreme
10-23-2017, 04:30 PM
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/22809566_10208301933825270_1670130854_n.jpg?oh=7e3 e77c673be4603be545bca3903df51&oe=59F1145E

So I picked this up earlier this year... It's an Axis II heavy barrel in .223. I put a Vortex Crossfire ii scope in 3-9x40 on along with a bipod, sling, and made a homemade cheek rest... that is clearly ugly as can be, but it's comfortable and seems to be working. I've put nearly 300 rounds through it. This is my first centerfire bolt rifle that I feel confident shooting out to 100 yards. I love the way it shoots.

I can post some groups... but my best groups are 1.5 to 3 inches with Fiocchi FMJBT 55 grain. Again, I am newer to centerfire... a few questions... Am I expecting too much out of this rifle? I'd like to be shooting tighter groups. I think the rifle might shoot better than my ability right now... and so, just more practice? I've tried a front sandbag... but have been shooting a Savage Mark ii FV-SR in .22LR for years on a bipod with great results... and so, using the pictured cushion, the bipod doesn't seem to be jumping too much after having something soft to mount it on and putting forward pressure on the bipod. I am also using the pictured rear bag for stability. Furthermore... I know... I'm a mess... I have to shoot left handed because of issues with my right eye.

In short, I am thinking it is me and not the gun... what things can I be doing to tighten my groups? Any advice/wisdom would be very much appreciated. This is my first centerfire rifle that I am working to get proficient at shooting. Thanks!

DrThunder88
10-23-2017, 06:46 PM
With match grade ammo I would expect 1 to 1.5 MOA for a 5-shot group. I also tend to shoot off bags rather than bipod when shooting for the smallest groups.

beefsupreme
10-23-2017, 09:10 PM
Thanks... Will try some better ammo. I'm sure shooting off a bag would probably be better... I just feel like I'm having to learn to shoot all over again if that makes sense. Any ammo recommendations?

celltech
10-23-2017, 10:06 PM
My Axis .223 hardwood will shoot Fiocchi 50 gr v-max down to 1/2 MOA. FMJ bullets are worse, but not 3" groups. Let's assume it's not you for the moment. Is that plastic stock free floated around the barrel? Are the action screws tightened down, but not too tight? With that stock and a bipod you can risk warping the fore end if you are twisting it around too much. I second shooting it off a bag.

beefsupreme
10-23-2017, 10:20 PM
My Axis .223 hardwood will shoot Fiocchi 50 gr v-max down to 1/2 MOA. FMJ bullets are worse, but not 3" groups. Let's assume it's not you for the moment. Is that plastic stock free floated around the barrel? Are the action screws tightened down, but not too tight? With that stock and a bipod you can risk warping the fore end if you are twisting it around too much. I second shooting it off a bag.

Thanks... It is free floated. I have checked the action screws... They were a bit loose when I got it... Tightened it down a bit. I'm considering bedding the action... I've had success with that on a Ruger 10/22 that was bouncing around in the stock. Here are some groups from a few weeks ago off a bag. Didn't get a pic of today off the bipod... But today's groups were similar.

I started in the middle and then went to the upper left and clockwise around. This was off a bag at 100 yards.
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/22782131_10208301947865621_630439031_n.jpg?oh=d6cb 696c0a835fca8b528b82e0192637&oe=59F125EF

beefsupreme
10-24-2017, 11:39 AM
I did estimate wrong... Closer to 2+ inch groups. Seems like shots in the beginning are grouped fairly well... And then they open up... Barrel getting hot?

celltech
10-24-2017, 12:08 PM
I did estimate wrong... Closer to 2+ inch groups. Seems like shots in the beginning are grouped fairly well... And then they open up... Barrel getting hot?

Depending on how fast you were slinging them out, yep, she heated up. That does not look too bad for junk ammo. Now to try the good stuff!

beefsupreme
10-24-2017, 04:52 PM
Depending on how fast you were slinging them out, yep, she heated up. That does not look too bad for junk ammo. Now to try the good stuff!

Thanks! I might just be accustomed to shooting 50 yards with a 22... will try some good ammo! Any thoughts on bedding the action?

celltech
10-24-2017, 05:14 PM
Bedding an action into these plastic stocks can be difficult as the compounds don't like to stick. All my Savages are in wood or fiberglass stocks so the JB Weld stuck just fine. I will let others speak that have tried, but maybe you can just bed the recoil lug area and go with that... Of course the forend of that stock will stay flexy unless you fill it up with something.

beefsupreme
10-24-2017, 05:32 PM
Bedding an action into these plastic stocks can be difficult as the compounds don't like to stick. All my Savages are in wood or fiberglass stocks so the JB Weld stuck just fine. I will let others speak that have tried, but maybe you can just bed the recoil lug area and go with that... Of course the forend of that stock will stay flexy unless you fill it up with something.

Thanks.... I did one a while back in a plastic stock on a 22 rifle... ended up using a dremel to rough up all the contact edges and used some chemical (I don't remember what) to clean the surface as well as drilling some very small holes at places in the stock that could take the depth to create mechanical locks... it's still holding up well... something to think about I suppose.

beefsupreme
10-27-2017, 08:08 AM
Range test! Bought some Hornady American Gunner .223 55 grain HP... it's what my lgs had in stock and the guy behind the counter recommended it. It was 62 F outside yesterday and I had a strong wind (my phone said it was 11 mph but it felt a lot stronger) at my back... First photo is of my first 3 shots and also includes my last 3 shots of the day... both are at 100 yards. I also adjusted the Accutrigger as low as it would go... it was fine for me before, but figured I'd give it a try.
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/22854715_10208320097639354_438465358_n.jpg?oh=d376 0aba4857f7cc65098eda04593fd9&oe=59F544D0

Then, I settled in with 3 inch targets at 100 yards.

I forgot my sharpie to mark the target... so here's a description:

First Row = off bipod w/ hornady ammo as described
Second Row = off front bag w/ hornady ammo. On the third target in this row, the lowest hole was from aiming at the target below with different ammo.
Third Row = off front bag w/ fiocchi 55 grain FMJBT I had been using... while aiming at the third target in this row, I hit the target directly above.
Fourth Row = off front bag w/ hornady ammo... the barrel had really heated up at this point.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/22883297_10208320096119316_1281140945_n.jpg?oh=03d 706a7787133d505ae7dc122323422&oe=59F56F37

So... in my mind, the ammo made a big difference for me... I didn't let the barrel cool too much... but was on a time crunch and should have just taken my time... but, even with the wind, it looks like problem may be solved... rifle appears set up and ammo problem solved. The hornady was hitting black and red the entire time. :) Thanks so much for the help!

Only issue I am having now is the magazine sometimes won't push a round into the chamber. The round misses the feed ramp... I think I might be being too gentle. And, the extractor wasn't quite grabbing every piece of brass (this happened maybe 3 or 4 times). Thoughts?

Axis223Shooter
11-07-2017, 11:00 PM
The axis can put 3 rounds into an 1 inch grouping at 100 yards even with the Wolf steel ammo, provided that you do something with the flexing factory stock. I have a regular barrel Axis 223 that I did some redneck hacks to. It shoots fine with all sorts of ammo (cheap ones !). For me, this is a plinker to tear holes through paper targets and through old car doors at the farm.

DrThunder88
11-08-2017, 06:45 AM
Stiffening the forearm isn't even necessary unless the barrel/stock clearance is especially low somewhere. The kinds of forces required to flex the Axis stock into the barrel are lower than for other rifles, but they're still not the kinds of forces typically exerted on the gun in most types of shooting.

beefsupreme
11-08-2017, 02:53 PM
The axis can put 3 rounds into an 1 inch grouping at 100 yards even with the Wolf steel ammo, provided that you do something with the flexing factory stock. I have a regular barrel Axis 223 that I did some redneck hacks to. It shoots fine with all sorts of ammo (cheap ones !). For me, this is a plinker to tear holes through paper targets and through old car doors at the farm.

I might try some of those hacks... stiffening the forend as well as bedding the action. What did you use to stiffen the forend?

beefsupreme
11-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Stiffening the forearm isn't even necessary unless the barrel/stock clearance is especially low somewhere. The kinds of forces required to flex the Axis stock into the barrel are lower than for other rifles, but they're still not the kinds of forces typically exerted on the gun in most types of shooting.

Thanks Doc Thunder... since I will probably bed the action anyways, does it hurt anything to fill in the forend? Thanks!

DrThunder88
11-08-2017, 03:27 PM
No, in fact it helps in a number of ways. It gives the rifle a more solid feel and puts some recoil-absorbing and stabilizing mass into the gun. I've never found a stiffened forearm has improved the accuracy of my Axises, but it has improved the overall feel. Similarly, filling the wrist and buttstock can help make the gun feel better and sound less chintzy, but I'm dubious of claims of it increasing accuracy on its own.

beefsupreme
11-08-2017, 05:26 PM
Thanks doc!