PDA

View Full Version : Decisions

Romero14
10-23-2017, 03:45 PM
So I've been thinking of getting a new rifle and savage has the rebates going on the model 11/111. I currently have a model 116 in 25-06 as well as one in 270. The 270 is the older preaccutrigger model. I bought the 25-06 two years ago. I was wanting a 6.5 creedmoor. Then I started thinking about a 280 or 280 Ackley improved which had me thinking about a replacement barrel for my old 270. I'm a newbie to the custom world. The most I've done is get Boyds stocks. I'm not sure which route to take. Either buy a creedmoor or 280 or 280 AI barrel. The gun will mainly be used for hunting.

SageRat Shooter
10-23-2017, 03:54 PM
I took my brand new .270 Win and tore it apart just for the action. I then put a CBI 260 Rem Match barrel on it and have been very happy with it... I'm a lefty, so my option for what I wanted were "slim to none", so that's why I went this way (wanted a long action, so I wouldn't have any issues feeding from the mag even when seating the ELD-X bullets out long... my COAL is 2.933) as the 11/111 platform was my only option as a lefty.

The 6.5 Creed will work, but you may have a little more of a feeding issue from the mag then the 260 does....

lonestardiver
10-23-2017, 03:55 PM
I have several questions for you...
Do you handload or desire to ? If not then the 280 AI is off the list since its availability will be limited or you have a source.
What do you intend to hunt and at what distance do you normally shoot at ?
With the 280 and the 6.5 creedmoor you can find ammo more readily.
Now the bate is 7mm projectile vs. 6.5 mm projectile and velocities you gain from each cartridge. What has the better bullet for the game intended and at the distance you plan to hunt at ?

Romero14
10-23-2017, 04:26 PM
If I bought the creedmoor then it would stay untouched except a new stock, scope and rings.

Lonestardriver...yes I plan to handload in the near future. I live in an apt and don't have the anywhere for the equipment to go now. Options are limited for the 280 AI to basically Nosler ammo or shooting regular 280 ammo though it until I start handloading. I mainly hunt deer as of now but that will hopefully change in the future to include elk, mule deer, etc. I normally shoot at a max of 350 yards where I currently hunt. The main ammo I've been using is federal premium BTSP 117 grain in my 25-06. And hornady sst 130 grain in my 270

SageRat Shooter
10-23-2017, 04:44 PM
Romero,

Hornady now makes a 145 gr. ELD-X for hunting.... I tried that one too... got it up over 2800 fps out of my 22" barrel using Ramshot Hunter... Something you may want to look at once you can reload. You may not have to buy that rifle after all...

Romero14
10-23-2017, 04:49 PM
SageRat,

I'll have to check those out when I start reloading. I don't have to buy a new rifle... I just kinda want one or a new caliber.

big honkin jeep
10-26-2017, 02:05 PM
Man I'd leave the .270 alone especially for the type of hunting you discussed. A .270 shooting a 130gr at 3200fps is bad medicine for the game species you describe and will even take a 1600# gold medal Kudu cleanly. I'm also a big fan of the 25-06 and have hammered quite a few whitetails using the 110gr accubond also right at 3200fps.
There's just something magic about the way these laser flat shooting, hard hitting calibers at uber high velocity drop game. They may have been around a while but man they sure get the job done efficiently and better than most.
I think If given the choice and I wanted a 6.5 I'd get one of the Long Range Hunters 26" ($550 after rebate) or the 10FCP-SR 24" ($450 after rebate) that are on sale right now. With all of the standard features on these rifles they are just about giving them away right now.

J.Baker
10-26-2017, 02:37 PM
I have to agree with Big Honkin Jeep above except for one thing...if you primarily plan to use it for hunting I wouldn't buy either of the heavy barrel models he suggested. Yes they're on sale for dirt cheap right now, but nobody likes carrying a 10+ pound rifle in the field all day. I guess they would be fine if you're a sit on your butt in a stand all day kind of hunter (mostly east of the Mississippi), but if you're a spot/stalk type of hunter (mostly west of the Mississippi) you'll be hating that heavy rifle by lunchtime on the first day of the hunt.

That said, I would go the 6.5 Creedmoor route over the .280 Rem or .280 AI route. If you don't reload the availability and selection of factory ammo is worlds better with the 6.5 CM. If you do reload, you still have the benefit of being able to easily find factory ammo in a pinch if necessary with the 6.5 CM.

The only negative I would point out regarding the 6.5 CM or the .280 for that matter is that you've really already got that performance range well covered for hunting with your .25-06 and .270. The 6.5 CM isn't going to do anything that those two cartridges can't already do for you, other than doing it in a short-action platform.

WV1951
10-27-2017, 11:37 PM
^^^^^^ What he said. Assuming the 270 is a shooter, you can upgrade the trigger if you are not satisfied with it. The 270 will handle most anything you want.