PDA

View Full Version : Old style bolt

S.atkeson
10-21-2017, 03:35 AM
I have an older long action (116). It has the old style bolt with the bigger (?) Firing pin. Does anyone know if I can replace the firing pin, head retention pin, and bolt face, to make it able to use a current bolt face? Or anywhere I can get a mag size (~ .540) bolt face for the older bolts? I called Savage but they were very little help. I know the new bolts don't have the indexing tab but have read that can be easily taken care of. Anyone been down this road?

S.atkeson
10-21-2017, 03:36 AM
Or will a new complete bolt assembly work?

Wildcat
10-21-2017, 05:02 PM
S.atkeson,
You can purchase replacement bolt heads from Pacific Tool and Gauge. They don't mention what size firing pin hole they utilize. I 'd give them a call and ask the question if I wanted one of their bolt heads. I have heard of people drilling out the firing pin hole on the newer bolt faces to fit the older larger firing pin. However, I have no first hand experience with this and do not personally know anyone who has done it. Perhaps another board member with first hand experience and/or more knowledge will chime in on that subject and enlighten both of us.

When I was in a similar predicament and unable to wrangle all the necessary parts, I watched the Classifieds section of this board and ended up purchasing an almost complete long action bolt from another member. I confirmed with the seller it was one of the "newer" bolts and utilized the smaller diameter firing pin. Once I added the ejector and extractor parts, it worked like a charm. So, to answer your question --- a new complete bolt assembly will work. If you swap out your complete bolt, I recommend checking your headspace if you are not installing a new barrel. It will likely need to be reset. You probably already knew that, but figured I'd mention it just in case. :smile-new:

S.atkeson
10-21-2017, 05:05 PM
S.atkeson,
You can purchase replacement bolt heads from Pacific Tool and Gauge. They don't mention what size firing pin hole they utilize. I 'd give them a call and ask the question if I wanted one of their bolt heads. I have heard of people drilling out the firing pin hole on the newer bolt faces to fit the older larger firing pin. However, I have no first hand experience with this and do not personally know anyone who has done it. Perhaps another board member with first hand experience and/or more knowledge will chime in on that subject and enlighten both of us.

When I was in a similar predicament and unable to wrangle all the necessary parts, I watched the Classifieds section of this board and ended up purchasing an almost complete long action bolt from another member. I confirmed with the seller it was one of the "newer" bolts and utilized the smaller diameter firing pin. Once I added the ejector and extractor parts, it worked like a charm. So, to answer your question --- a new complete bolt assembly will work. If you swap out your complete bolt, I recommend checking your headspace if you are not installing a new barrel. It will likely need to be reset. You probably already knew that, but figured I'd mention it just in case. :smile-new:The thought of drilling it to fit had crossed my mind. The new style bolt fitting is good news as a last resort! And I will call ptg. I did look and they don't say what size it was, I sent an email to them late Friday so I'll see if I get a reply Monday. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

foxx
10-21-2017, 05:59 PM
Why do you want to replace what you already have? THe only "problem" with the old style was the retaining pin broke on occasion due to it's larger hole.

And yes, you can replace the firing pin and bolt head, retaining pin etc., just don't see why.

S.atkeson
10-21-2017, 06:05 PM
Why do you want to replace what you already have? THe only "problem" with the old style was the retaining pin broke on occasion due to it's larger hole.

And yes, you can replace the firing pin and bolt head, retaining pin etc., just don't see why.I have replaced the retention pin. Easy to do. But going to change bolt face size for a different cartridge. Just need to find someone wanting to go from a 300wm to a 30-06 and we can both win lol

foxx
10-21-2017, 06:55 PM
I think you will need a different firing pin, anyways. 300 win Mag uses a longer pin due to longer bolt head.

Johnny_V
10-21-2017, 06:56 PM
I purchased one from PTG and everything worked out ok, but you must tell them everything about the bolt (firing pin diameter, alignment notch, etc) or you'll wind up sending it back (don't ask how I know, and I won't have to lie). I went from a .223 to a 300WM. Work's great.

S.atkeson
10-21-2017, 06:57 PM
I purchased one from PTG and everything worked out ok, but you must tell them everything about the bolt (firing pin diameter, alignment notch, etc) or you'll wind up sending it back (don't ask how I know, and I won't have to lie). I went from a .223 to a 300WM. Work's great.Great! Thanks

S.atkeson
10-21-2017, 07:02 PM
I purchased one from PTG and everything worked out ok, but you must tell them everything about the bolt (firing pin diameter, alignment notch, etc) or you'll wind up sending it back (don't ask how I know, and I won't have to lie). I went from a .223 to a 300WM. Work's great.Any feed issues? I'm going from 30-06 to a 300wsm. Building a long range rifle I want a long action so I can use longer/ heavier vld bullets. I did see they have a different reciver and bolt style for the mags to make them feel better but have heard guys doing it with no problems.

Johnny_V
10-22-2017, 04:56 AM
I can't comment on feed issues, as I'm using a single shot action. As for a different firing pin, I didn't have to change that, and I went from a .223 to a .300WM. Maybe I'm missing something here, but everything works just fine.

S.atkeson
10-22-2017, 05:59 AM
I will get ahold of PTG and figure it out. Sounds promising.

geargrinder
10-22-2017, 01:09 PM
You can also drill out the tail of the newer bolt head to make it compatible with your large firing pin.

I believe the drill is a #26 ( .147"). Drill from the end of the tail to the vent. Very simple. I've done it a few times.