PDA

View Full Version : Choate Tactical for Stevens

pyscodog
09-11-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm wanting to put a Choate Tactical on my Stevens short action. Choate tells me it needs to be either a 4.411 or a 4.275 bolt spacing. Mine is a 4.250, like the old model 12 action. Is it going to fit or will I need to modify the Choate? Thanks pyscodog

LG
09-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Sounds like you have a staggered feed short action. The Choate stock with 4.275" spacing should fit. I put a Choate stock on my model 10 FP. The screw spacing on the stock matched the action just fine.

pyscodog
09-12-2010, 01:38 PM
It is a staggered feed. I'm just afraid with the 4.250 bolt spacing, I will have the same problems I'm having now. The bolts just don't align correctly and I've had to enlarge the holes to get the bolts in. I usually go through my entire vocabulary of cuss words trying to put the stock on. A real pain in the A--. I hate to buy a new stock and have the same problems that I have now.

LG
09-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Do you have the problem with the factory stock? The 4.250" measurement, is it center to center?

If I understood you correctly, the screw spacing might be a little out of spec on your action. If that's the case then yes the Choate or any other stock will have the same problem.

pyscodog
09-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Bolt spacing is correct. 4.250 is the same spacing as the older model 12's. One of the Savage guru's on another site assures me it will fit even though the spacing is a bit smaller. I still don't have that warm fuzzy feeling about it yet.

bushwack
09-13-2010, 11:23 PM
You're right in not having a warm fuzzy feeling about this. You still have .025" difference you have to account for. It would seem to me that the distance between the back of the recoil lug & the center of the front action screw hole is the important measurement. I've seen these measurements on line somewhere, maybe right here.