PDA

View Full Version : Old "new guy" from Mesa, AZ

gymheart
10-19-2017, 10:32 PM
I'm a retired old man who spent a career in aviation as a pilot. Lived in several places around the world and have been a shooter my entire life. Navy veteran. VietNam Vet. Crewmember on P2V Neptunes chasing submarines. Alum of Michigan State University. Anyway, glad to be on this sight and now to....recent history..A few years ago I had a savage 110 in 223 with a bull barrel. Wow! Super-accurate rifle. For some reason I sold it. Just now bought the Savage Axis SR in 308. I like the fact I can use my can with it. Anyway......Got a Barska 4-16x40 scope mounted with the bell-end about 1-2 in. from the barrel. Was disappointed to learn activating the bolt will skin my knuckles. Went on the www and found MANY complaints of the same issue going back several years! Called Cust Supp at Savage today. Described the problem to a young lady who sounded like she got re-assigned to the desk after finishing the last letter assignment by her boss. I remarked that why should a buyer have to buy a $60 after-market handle just to clear the scope. She told me that "they were not aware of any such problem"!!!! After putting me on hold to ask someone who knows what a rifle IS, came back and suggested I buy higher rings. I thanked her for her "help" and hung up the phone. I've learned that higher rings do NOT alleviate the problem. So, I moved the scope farther forward to where it's not as bad but I have to stretch my neck to get the correct eye relief. The problem is the 90 degree bolt throw because of the two-piece locking lugs. If anyone can give me another way to go, other than the $60 baseball bat looking handle, I'd sure appreciate it!!

ttexastom
10-20-2017, 10:49 PM
Welcome to the forum from northeast georgia

ragsflh
10-21-2017, 09:39 AM
howdy,,thanks for your service

drybean
10-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Welcome aboard

Hotolds442
01-09-2018, 07:35 PM
Welcome!