PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding the front bolt baffle on 223 Rem bolts

clm2112
10-18-2017, 06:27 AM
Just checking on something, while waiting for the 223 bolt head to show up.

Am I understanding the purpose of the extension on the 223 bolt front baffle correctly: That it is only a filler to stop the reward travel of the bolt when using a short cartridge?

https://image.ibb.co/mRZMkm/Savage_223_Bolt.jpg

I'm thinking about skipping it and using the regular one I already have on my 243 Win bolt. The rifle is feeding out of AICS magazines, so there doesn't appear to be any reason to shorten the bolt travel.

BillPa
10-18-2017, 10:08 AM
That it is only a filler to stop the reward travel of the bolt when using a short cartridge?

I'm thinking about skipping it and using the regular one I already have on my 243 Win bolt. The rifle is feeding out of AICS magazines, so there doesn't appear to be any reason to shorten the bolt travel.
That's all it does, shorten the bolt throw. A few of those I've ground the "fin" off the extension then flip them 180 one way or the other depending on the cartridge and magazine.

Bill

clm2112
10-18-2017, 02:50 PM
That's all it does, shorten the bolt throw. A few of those I've ground the "fin" off the extension then flip them 180 one way or the other depending on the cartridge and magazine.

Bill

Thanks, Hmmm... hadn't thought about that, flipping it over so it is in the opposite side bolt lug race. I'll keep that in mind of one crosses my path.

Curt