PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Savage Mark II range report....

ngzcaz
10-17-2017, 06:34 PM
Well, I have to tell ya, I felt like a kid again today and that's something considering how old I am.. As I mentioned in my intro I haven't had a bolt action anything since I was a little tyke. My newly acquired Savage Mark GXP went to the range for the first time and I'm pretty satisfied with the outing. Most importantly, it fed, fired and extracted several types of .22 leftovers I had in storage for a lot of years. I have to agree with most folks about the magazine having a few sharp edges. Hard to believe they haven't rectified it since they apparently have been this way for quite some time. I'd rather have a straighter magazine instead of the banana style magazine. Only around 50 or 60 rounds or so but its a good start. After zeroing the supplied Tasco fixed 4X scope with supplied mounts at 25 yards I went out to 50 and zero'd it again. After a few adjustments I was able to print a few groups that could be covered by a nickel. Now, that's not extreme accuracy but off an inexpensive Ebay bipod with only me at the other end its not bad either. If I recall correctly I don't think my Marlin SB 22 S/A did that well. And don't ask me why I bought a bipod for it since I don't have one for anything else I own including an SKS.. One of those impulse I saw it I bought it type deals.

The trigger is ok and I'd like to think if it lightens up with use it might do a tad better at 50.. as expected, the 25 yard group was one ragged hole. The weapon is hardwood, certainly not walnut nor did I expect it especially for the price I paid. But it is nice wood. The satin finish on the barrel matches the stock well but IMHO both the barrel and stock would look better with a glossy finish. Checkering is ok, no flaws anywhere that I could see. That's it, no drama, no BS, just a straight forward assessment of the gun so far. And one of the biggest plusses was the lack of recoil, a welcome treat for these sensitive old shoulders.

It will be interesting what it does at 100 yards. Anyone try it just for the heck of it ? :eagerness:

dynotime
12-23-2017, 05:19 PM
good shooting

Well, I have to tell ya, I felt like a kid again today and that's something considering how old I am.. As I mentioned in my intro I haven't had a bolt action anything since I was a little tyke. My newly acquired Savage Mark GXP went to the range for the first time and I'm pretty satisfied with the outing. Most importantly, it fed, fired and extracted several types of .22 leftovers I had in storage for a lot of years. I have to agree with most folks about the magazine having a few sharp edges. Hard to believe they haven't rectified it since they apparently have been this way for quite some time. I'd rather have a straighter magazine instead of the banana style magazine. Only around 50 or 60 rounds or so but its a good start. After zeroing the supplied Tasco fixed 4X scope with supplied mounts at 25 yards I went out to 50 and zero'd it again. After a few adjustments I was able to print a few groups that could be covered by a nickel. Now, that's not extreme accuracy but off an inexpensive Ebay bipod with only me at the other end its not bad either. If I recall correctly I don't think my Marlin SB 22 S/A did that well. And don't ask me why I bought a bipod for it since I don't have one for anything else I own including an SKS.. One of those impulse I saw it I bought it type deals.

The trigger is ok and I'd like to think if it lightens up with use it might do a tad better at 50.. as expected, the 25 yard group was one ragged hole. The weapon is hardwood, certainly not walnut nor did I expect it especially for the price I paid. But it is nice wood. The satin finish on the barrel matches the stock well but IMHO both the barrel and stock would look better with a glossy finish. Checkering is ok, no flaws anywhere that I could see. That's it, no drama, no BS, just a straight forward assessment of the gun so far. And one of the biggest plusses was the lack of recoil, a welcome treat for these sensitive old shoulders.

It will be interesting what it does at 100 yards. Anyone try it just for the heck of it ? :eagerness:

penna shooter
12-23-2017, 07:36 PM
Good luck and make us proud.