PDA

View Full Version : Brownell's refusing to sell me a bolt head and firing pin assembly w/o FFL...?

AZ-K9
09-11-2010, 02:59 AM
I don't get it, made a big order of parts for a switch barrel, among them the bolt head and firing pin assembly. Got a call today from Brownells CS who told me they cannot sell me the parts without an FFL. I tried to pry the reason out of CS and the best I got was maybe Savage requires them to only sell to licensee's as part of a contract.

That kinda put a crimp in my plans, where should I send my money for the parts now?

thirty06
09-11-2010, 06:31 AM
You can get those parts at Midway or from SSS.

Blue Avenger
09-11-2010, 11:51 AM
they only try to sell internal parts to smith's, with the assumption they are the only one that know how to install them correctly. LOL kinda like government intelligence. ;)

hank440
09-11-2010, 06:38 PM
You can get those parts at Midway or from SSS.

Midway is out of stock for now >:(

AZ-K9
09-11-2010, 08:12 PM
I must have purchased their last sets, got an order in this morning. At least they said they were in stock when I ordered....

Aggravating that I could have ordered them via and order I made two days before, but I saw brownells had a better price. Got stuck with a special handling fee from Midway to add insult..

Ahhhhh, now the wait begins for the parts and my first barrel swap to occur. ;D

pdog06
09-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Call SSS or Stockade. Either should have them in stock.

Hawk45
09-28-2010, 03:38 PM
I ran into this same problem yesterday with Brownells. I recieved an email stating one of my items needed an FFL "associated" to my account to ship. When I replied they said I could just have my FFL send over a copy or I could if I had a copy. It's not a ATF requirement but one that Savage requests (not sure how Midway and others get around though) and there is no paperwork for the FFL so there isn't a fee and they can ship right to my house. Anyway I told the girl my FFL isn't open till Wed and gave her the name and address of my shop. She said they had a copy of thier FFL on file and just associated it to my account and would send the package out immediately. Overall I was pretty happy in the end. But they need to make things more clear on what they actully need. Not an FFL like for a gun.. but just a shop with an FFL associated to your account.

Hope this helps.. Brownells has always been a good place to buy from for me. And they made things right w/o me having to jump through a bunch of hoops.. just a few emails.

ChipEckardt
09-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Maybe it is just me but I would never again deal with a vendor who tried to do something like this. There is no legal reason to require a FFL. It is their right to request one. It is my right to take my business elsewhere.

Chip

Uncle Jack
09-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Brownells has always been a PITA to deal with. Even back when I ran a full service gun shop and gunsmithing business they always acted like they were doing you a favor to deal with you.

uj

trappst
09-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Fellas, it's not completely Brownell's here..........it's Savage policy.

I needed replacement parts for a new 220F slug gun. The firing pin was bad so I called and requested a new firing pin and spring. Savage will only ship those type parts to a FFL holder.

GabbyM
09-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Could this be an issue with State Control laws?
I've ordered AR bolts from Brownells with no issues.
Brownells gives your gunsmith or FFL shop a discount anyways.

AZ-K9
10-02-2010, 05:13 PM
The lady I dealt with was pretty clear in that she thought it was a Savage contractual issue between Savage and Brownells.

In order for Brownells to carry those parts Savage makes them insist on an FFL. It's total BS on the part of Savage.